Logo

VP 280 part ID needed

w200er

New to site. Working on my fourth resto/rebuild. New to Volvo Penta. I am in the process of re-installing the AQ140A/280 outdrive that I removed 2 years ago. My question concerns the use of the spacer ring (p/n 813964) that is placed between the clamp ring (p/n 826941) and the flywheel cover (p/n 834953). Is it used in all installations or just some? I can't find it with my parts, and I'm not so sure that it was there in the first place. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Open this schematic up, and look at SEQ #38. Is this the part that you are refering to?
I have seen only a few of these over the years. It is not used with many other installations...... this being just one of them.

Did you have this spacer when you removed the flywheel cover?

BTW, this does not involve any outdrive installation procedure. This has to do with the flywheel cover mounting within the transom shield.

Post back, and I'll further this with you.

Rick

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, that is the part I'm referring to. I don't recall seeing it upon dis-assembly, but that was two years ago! I am reinstalling the engine and out drive, as well as the transom shield. My plan was to support the aft end of the engine, centering the flywheel cover in the transom shield as close as possible. Then attach and tighten the clamping ring (with new rubber rings, of course) before allowing the weight of the engine to rest in the transom shield. Yes? No? Thanks.

Rich

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, that is the part I'm referring to. I don't recall seeing it upon dis-assembly, but that was two years ago!
Ah..... I hear ya..... my memory is good for only a few short moments.

I am reinstalling the engine and out drive, as well as the transom shield. My plan was to support the aft end of the engine, centering the flywheel cover in the transom shield as close as possible. Then attach and tighten the clamping ring (with new rubber rings, of course) before allowing the weight of the engine to rest in the transom shield. Yes? No? Thanks.
Well, there is a bit more to this.

Rich, there is a "triangulation" procedure that you must follow.......... but let's back up fist.

Slide your flywheel cover into the transom shield with both rubber cushion rings in place.
Gently snug up the clamping ring with the 6 Tap Bolts.
Watch to see how tightly the assembly clinches down on both rubber cushion rings...... each should compress.
If you see the rings becoming compressed, then the spacer ring is not required.

BTW, at least one of the rubber cushion rings should be new..... and that would be the Inboard ring, as it provides the water seal.

I purchased 2 new rings and planned on using them both. Would there be any advantage to using one of the new rings inboard as you suggest and saving the other new ring for later? What is the service life of these rings anyway? The old rings are still pliable, but deformed/flattened. As to the "triangulation", I'm all ears...

Rich

I purchased 2 new rings and planned on using them both. Would there be any advantage to using one of the new rings inboard as you suggest and saving the other new ring for later?
A cost savings only.... but I would do this only if one new inboard rubber cushion ring causes enough "squeeze" to create a good water seal.

What is the service life of these rings anyway?
If left undisturbed, probably 30 or 40 years or so.

The old rings are still pliable, but deformed/flattened.
Yes.... that is the "set" that I have mentioned many times. On rare occasion, a good used ring can be flipped around..... but I would always recommend new.

As to the "triangulation", I'm all ears...
Rich, it is pretty straight forward.
Look closely at this image below.
I am showing a late model GM V-8 flywheel cover, however the 6 flat area idea is the same. as with any of these.

Attachments

• Triangulation engine alignment 2.jpg
    Triangulation engine alignment 2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 21
Back