Logo

2001 50hp 4stroke carbs leaking

bitsy4643

Contributing Member
2001 4stroke 50hp mercury all 4 carbs are leaking fuel from the throttle shaft or rod. Rubber bellows covering the shaft are deteriorated and mostly gone. Most buy carb kit to get rubber bellows, not available otherwise. Does anyone know where I might get just the rubber bellows? Also do these bellows prevent fuel from leaking when in place or just for dirt or debris protection? Should these throttle rods be sealed from leaking even without rubber bellows? All help greatly appreciated

No replies, I answered own forum. After 5 posting on various Mercury forums, and getting no reply, I have discovered that if you have to ask what a plunger rod is and the rubber bellows that go on it, you know nothing of Mercury, Tohatsu or Nissan carbs. These motors all take the same carb kit and these same carbs are used on many 9.9, 20, 30 hp motors. One local "certified" Mercury mechanic .had to look on computer to see what a plunger rod is. Another said he would rebuild carbs for 350 dollars but I must get an intake manifold gasket. This 50 4 stroke does not have a gasket only O rings . If anyone , novice or professional ever rebuilt this carb, you would not forget what a plunger rod is, the rubber bellows that go on it, and the function they serve.
Upon disassembly, for the "professional" mechanics and novices, the plunger rod, about 1 1/2 long by 3/32 D, is activated by throttle advance, goes through a brass fitting in top of carb about 1/2d with 7/64 hole in center {very loose plunger rod fit and not sealed. Rod goes to bottom of carb bowl to depress about 1/2 inch plunger that forces more fuel into carb. To my best assumption, the rubber bellows on rod at outside top of carb, serves to protect from debris and to protect from fuel linkage.
As someone who does not have great knowledge, it was inconceivable that no one answered this after all those postings. Maybe this will help someone else who may need an answer. Thanks for your forum.

Most of us on this board work on 2 stroke outboards and many of us still see 4 strokes as a "new design" - and very few are "certified tech's - there are a couple, but not many.

This is a forum designed to help out the back yard mechanic types by "other guys" that like working on motors.

So while you might be surprised that none of us "driveway types" know anything of a plunger on a Chinese built 4 stroke Merc carb, I myself am not so surprised.

The more advanced and high tech an outboard gets, the less and less we get to work on in the driveway. In many cases you need a DDT (diagnostic computer running Merc software) to figure out even where to start.

Not so in your case, but modern outboards are not generally "fiddled with" using a screwdriver and an ohm meter anymore - like your car they are more and more becoming a test/diagnose and replace the bad part scenario.

So I will collectively apologize for all of us on this board who didn't know how to solve your plunger rod issue - this has obviously left you a little disturbed based on your other posts, including one on a five year old thread.

no intention to chastise shade tree or novice mechanics, such as myself

Thread was not intended to chastise shade tree mechanic or novices, such as myself . The following was a reply I posted to someone who replied I should have called the plunger rod with rubber bellows as an accelerator pump and professionals would know to what I was referring. Ridiculous.

Plunger rod is a plunger rod, not an accelerator pump. All diagrams, parts, and descriptions describes as such. No mention ever of accelerator pump. It is not a pump but simply a rod with rubber bellows. If there is a pump, it is inserted in the body of the carb, that is activated by the rod... As I said before and will say again to all professional mechanics who could not answer my 5 posts on different forums with no reply after many days, you are not true mechanics or you could have answered this thread right away .Simply a poor excuse for certified mechanics that charge an arm and leg for services on engines are carbs to which they are not familiar. In my case, I am not or claim to be an expert, but I do possess common sense and know to describe things as they are. .Upon disassembly, parts lookup, carb rebuild searches on internet, I repeat, a novice, such as myself refuse to believe a plunger rod and the rubber bellows could ever be described as other than what they are.

Most of us on this board work on 2 stroke outboards and many of us still see 4 strokes as a "new design" - and very few are "certified tech's - there are a couple, but not many.

This is a forum designed to help out the back yard mechanic types by "other guys" that like working on motors.

So while you might be surprised that none of us "driveway types" know anything of a plunger on a Chinese built 4 stroke Merc carb, I myself am not so surprised.

The more advanced and high tech an outboard gets, the less and less we get to work on in the driveway. In many cases you need a DDT (diagnostic computer running Merc software) to figure out even where to start.

Not so in your case, but modern outboards are not generally "fiddled with" using a screwdriver and an ohm meter anymore - like your car they are more and more becoming a test/diagnose and replace the bad part scenario.

So I will collectively apologize for all of us on this board who didn't know how to solve your plunger rod issue - this has obviously left you a little disturbed based on your other posts, including one on a five year old thread.

Good luck.-----Professionals expect to get paid for their work.-----------Not many pros visit and answer those who are looking for / DEMANDING free help.

This guy has been complaining on different forums about the advice he didn't get. Then when he got the advice he went to the same websites and complained about that. Nobody should be apologizing for anybody because he couldn't explain what he had and didn't put pics up. bitsy4643 has a case of sour grapes because nobody held his hand. DON'T WORRY WHEN YOU GET THE ACCELERATOR PUMPS FIXED I AM SURE YOUR MOTOR WILL RUN FINE. Why didn't you local dealer help you my guess would be your attitude.

Last edited:
This guy has been complaining on different forums about the advice he didn't get. Then when he got the advice he went to the same websites and complained about that. Nobody should be apologizing for anybody because he couldn't explain what he had and didn't put pics up. bitsy4643 has a case of sour grapes because nobody held his hand. DON'T WORRY WHEN YOU GET THE ACCELERATOR PUMPS FIXED I AM SURE YOUR MOTOR WILL RUN FINE. Why didn't you local dealer help you my guess would be your attitude.

For all the novices out there in response to know it alls and "flyingscott" as the above described my attitude, do not take anything for gospel from a dealer or so called expert until you thoroughly research on internet. Dealer replied bellows, when I explained what they were, said only available in kit. Searched internet and ebay available for 5 bucks each and same are used on nissan, suzuki, mercury outboards from 9.9 to 50 hp. This is a great forum, especially for novices, for a so called expert saying I have an attitude shows his lack of knowledge and his own bias attitude for someone with common sense proving dealers, so called experts, and dealers are not nearly as educated or knowledgeable as they would like to believe.

Back