Logo

rebuilding fresh water pump on ad41b or tamd41p-a

jansen

Contributing Member
I have noisy bearings or bearing in the fresh water pump on my AD41b engine. I see there is one big bearing in the pulley and wondered if I can replace just that one easily? Any advice on total pump rebuild and parts needed.

The hub is pressed on you will need to rebuild the pump. It looks like there are two kits depending on what pump you have.

I see a repair kit 876794 for $235 on the VPstore.com. It's my AD41b that has the noisy bearing, the TAMD41p-a is nice and smooth. I was thinking of getting the two bearings and gasket and that's cheaper than the kit.

I see a repair kit 876794 for $235 on the VPstore.com. It's my AD41b that has the noisy bearing, the TAMD41p-a is nice and smooth. I was thinking of getting the two bearings and gasket and that's cheaper than the kit.

I found pics of the repair kit and it includes the impeller. I think I will take mine apart and see what I need. I guess I will need to have the shaft pressed off the bearings otherwise I can do it myself.

I have a friend with a 12 ton press, so that should press it apart. Will it be visible if the wear sleeve is worn too much?

Not sure if yours is like our KAD32 pumps, but if it is, the biggest issue is getting it apart without wrecking the mechanical seal, or if fitting a new one, getting it reassembled right. It was a couple of years back, but I remember having all sorts of issues with the seal fitting, and from memory it is extremely difficult to get the pump apart without wrecking the rather expensive seal. I think the biggest tip was to make sure that when you press the impeller back on you get the clearance correct first time and don't get them over tight. You also need to be careful not to put too much pressure on the impeller plate (using a bearing puller or similar) as they are quite brittle.

I just did mine on a KAMD 300 and there are two bearings and the shaft seal that need to be replaced if you are servicing the pump. You also need the special tool from Volvo to install a new seal. Its called a mandril and actually has two stepped points where it fits the seal at both diameters as you are pressing it onto the shaft. Also depending on the engine that you have the impeller has to be below the face of the pump by so many millimeters. Its critical, by the time you buy both bearing the seal and the special tool to install and depending on your ability to do this work, you may just want to purchase a new pump for about 500. I know i rebuilt mine and it was very difficult to reinstall the pump back on the engine cause the rubber seal that goes between the thermostat housing and the pump itself is so hard to line up properly i had to take off the thermostat housing then bolt the pump on then try and get the housing back on. This was a very tough challenge for me even though i do all work on my engines.

Back