Logo

Honda 225

Buntobaga

I have just bought a boat with twin Honda 225's. At about 3/4 power the boat leans to port. I assume this is caused by both props spinning anticlockwise
(looking from behind the boat). Does anyone know if this can cause this problem and if I change the port motor to a clockwise spinning will this help?

Are you sure both props are turning counter-clockwise? Normally, on a twin mount, one motor is set up the spin the prop clockwise and the other counterclockwise. The props will be different. But before going down that road, I would make sure that the port motor doesn't have a spun prop. Remove the prop and inspect it very closely where the rubber bushing meets the metal. If you see raised or rough rubber at those junction points, the prop is likely spun and slips at higher speed, causing a list to port.

anxious to hear issue,, fyi I have twin Honda 225's port motor is counter and starboard is standard... You should be able to look at blades on prop one set should be shaped /cupped exact opposite of other motor... I agree take prop of inspect but if I would think rpm would raise if prop was spun

Thanks for your replies. I have confirmed that both motors are standard rotation. I need to buy a counter rotation leg for a Honda 225. Any suggestions how I find one?

Thanks for your replies. I have confirmed that both motors are standard rotation. I need to buy a counter rotation leg for a Honda 225. Any suggestions how I find one?

Do you have trim tabs on the boat? If so, you can counteract the effect of the props. yes, its not the "perfect" solution, but it's a lot cheaper than replacing a lower unit. And on any boat with twins, trim tabs are always nice for adjusting to loads and sea conditions.

What kind of boat are these motors on? The reason I ask is that I've seen catamarans (like the World Cat) where both engines rotate in the same direction. Not sure if that is the correct way to do it, but I've seen it and it didn't seem to bother performance or control.

Yes I have contacted Atlantic Marine but they only post to the USA. Any suggestions how I purchase from them and post on to Australia?

sorry not sure how you would get it shipped over there...I ironically My gearcase /reverse went out yesterday just got off phone w them about getting another one for my Honda ..I will speak to them in am and ask if they have imput on getting one over there

Thank you all once again for your help. I was wrong with my first post. Both motors as standard rotation. R/H - clockwise rotation. Is it possible to get the gearbox posted to one of you and get you to post it on to Australia? If anyone is coming or would like to come to Australia I will supply accommodation and fishing on the Great Barrier Reef. Townsville time is UTC +10hrs. If you reply I will give you a call at an agreeable hour.

Back