Logo

Cooling hose to fuel pump interference

Dieter

Advanced Contributor
hi all,

With help from some of you I've been converting a cracked block 4.3 2 bbl (serial OM694685) to 5.0 with a 4 bbl carb. Bought the silver 5.0 package from Michigan Motorz.

No matter how I have routed the starboard hose ( part number
32-807697) either under the alternator bracket, which is where photos have it going, or behind the alternator it's getting pinched. The accessories, fuel pump, and entire serpentine system is off the old 4.3. Photo is below with circulation hose removed. Any body have an ideas what I'm doing wrong or have decent photos of a carbureted 5.0 .
imagejpeg
On a good note engine fired right up on a pallet in my drive way. Will see if can can drop a video of it.

entire serpentine system is off the old 4.3.

Ayuh,..... When ya start mixin', 'n matchin', ya gotta re-engineer what yer doin', as the parts weren't made to fit with each other,....

I'd suggest movin' the fuel pump abit to gain clearance,....

Bondo

thanks for the reply.

Yeah I knew I'd have some head scratching swapping all the components over, but it did save about $1800 vs a complete engine. I had used the parts dwgs here to cross check part numbers between the 4.3 and 5.0, all the parts are the same part number- motor mounts brackets, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel filter bracket, hard pipe fuel line from filter to pump, alternator etc between the two.

After your post I looked back through to see if I missed something and forgot originally the 4.3 had metric bellhousing, starter, and motor mount bracket fasteners. Originally the motor mounts had this stud (attached) with a shoulder nut on it to hold on the fuel filter bracket. I just bought bolts because I could get these easily in grade 8 not studs. I bet this will push the fuel pump bracket down about 1/2" or so.

I can can handle metric or US but both on the same block is really stupid ... Anybody know why GM did this for some but not all mounting holes? Front accessories on the 4.3 were US size even used the same bolts to bolt it up to the 5.0

Back