Logo

Just bought a boat - been standing about 2 years, what to check? 89-92 mariner 60hp

One thing of note I've had happen with the last couple of 80's-model 50's I've worked on: they have a 2-piece driveshaft-to-crankshaft seal. One part is a plastic sleeve that slides over the crank splines in a certain direction. The other is a rubber seal which pushes up against the crankshaft to keep water out of the splines.

On both of my motors, one or both of the seal parts were gone. And the splines were lightly stuck (or worse). In that case, if the L/U doesn't come off easily, don't beat on it. Use wooden or plastic wedges to help pry the L/U from the mid-section.

The P/N for the seal assy is 78654A1. If you don't see both parts of the seal assy when you pull the L/U down, use a strong light to check the bottom of the crankshaft. It's possible for the rubber piece to stick to the crank.

HTH & let us know what you find and if you get it running..........ed

Hi ed - long time! Ive been battling with the motor losing power at higher rpms, an possibly replaced a non damaged stator! ANyway - i did have two pieces come out, but wasnt sure how they went in, so left one out? Does the lower crank seal go thru one of these? ie could having one out cause sealing issues on the lower crank seal?

Lower 2 plugs seem to be wetter, top one tan and dry, and since i pulled lower unit is about when issues started - i have a bag of old stator and parts and if changing switch box doesnt work then i might replace the seals.

Curious what your thoughts are -

hope u are well otherwise!

Hi ed - long time! Ive been battling with the motor losing power at higher rpms, an possibly replaced a non damaged stator! ANyway - i did have two pieces come out, but wasnt sure how they went in, so left one out? Does the lower crank seal go thru one of these? ie could having one out cause sealing issues on the lower crank seal?

Lower 2 plugs seem to be wetter, top one tan and dry, and since i pulled lower unit is about when issues started - i have a bag of old stator and parts and if changing switch box doesnt work then i might replace the seals.

Curious what your thoughts are -

hope u are well otherwise!

Howdy, you'd hardly know it's July up in the Pacific Northwest, it was cloudy and balmy today. Or maybe we're back to our "normal" July weather after having 3 hot summers in a row.

Anyway, I think the question about the 2-piece driveshaft seals got answered in the other thread, but at any rate you want to make sure the plastic piece is placed as per the diagram, since it can go on there 2 ways and only one way is right for your 60hp. The rubber piece goes on top of that, just as shown.

Not sure what to think on the running issue, it might be a good idea to clamp a timing light around each spark plug wire as the engine is running. You'll see right away if that cylinder is firing, by the flashing of the timing light. Otherwise there are portable, inexpensive tools known as "firing indicators" which you just lay up against the plug wire and the light flashes via induction. I don't know what they have over in S. Africa!! If you don't have any of those tools, you could find a "volunteer" to grab hold the spark plug. How much voltage it's putting out is calibrated by how far up they jump!!!!! HARR!! :p:rolleyes:

If you find that you have spark in all 3 cylinders, then it should be hitting on all three.

You can try a "drop test" where you pull a plug wire, stick a spare spark plug in the boot and ground that to the block. Then fire up the engine and see if that cylinder was doing its share. If the idle speed and sound of the motor is no different than when that cylinder was sparking, you've got issues. Otherwise, rpm would drastically drop on the "dead" cylinder.

If you're really brave, or have that volunteer again, you can pull the spark plug boot back and sooner or later you should hear spark snapping. A bit more and you'll lose spark and the cylinder should drop out. A pair of heavy-duty rubber gloves or insulated spark plug boot tool is best for doing this, in the case of lack of volunteers.

If you have to get deeper into the electronics, you may have to start taking voltage readings. For that you'll need a meter and what's called a DVA adapter. These are widely sold (including here), but I have no idea of the parts situation over there or what you can get from the States.

There is information on how to build your own adapter, it's not very complicated and you might try that if you can't get a "real" one, and the parts you need to build one are available.

I've attached a diagram showing the (3) electronic components required.

Here's a CDI Electronics troubleshooting manual which will guide you in troubleshooting the Merc ADI system and help you interpret the voltage results if you have to go that far into it:

http://www.cdielectronics.com/support/

The downloadable version is probably easier to use than the online one, and you'll be able to print out the various pages needed.

HTH & G'luck..........ed

Oh, BTW, the rubber seal for the driveshaft splines definitely has nothing to do with the lower crank seal.

And the lower unit work shouldn't have had anything to do with how she runs.

Idle mixture might have more of an effect than anything on how the plugs look, and #1-cyl on the 3-cylinder motors always does tend to run a bit leaner.

Cheers...........ed

Last edited:
Throwing parts at a problem is never the proper way to diagnose a issue. Allways start from the beginning with a compression test. If that passes then go to a spark gap test with a open air spark gap tester. It must jump a 7/16 open air gap on all the plug wires. Sounds like your only running on one cylinder get back with the results I doubt it is seal related if the plugs are wet with fuel. Do the wet plugs burn with a lighter water is allways a possibility also.

hahaha ed you crack me up lol!! actually yes we do have all kinds of tools here (most modern country in the whole continent fyi - nd no we DONT have lions in the streets!), more than the rest of africa for sure. I actually have a timing light i bought back from seattle with me after they stole my snazzy one!

well spark on all 3.. going to be at the motor again next week. I have a replacement switchbox off a 4 cyl, with stator and 4 coils and trigger - so will see..

bit afraid to fo manual spark tests lol! my compression was about 139/140/139 - on all 3.

I will get tdc on the other 2 and mark and test with timing light to see if trigger perhaps firing incorrectly (early / late).. all 3 are sparking, but could be weak as well..

Ill build a diy gap tester, already built the DIY DVA one - will do some more readings on stator.

FYI - someone told me the switchbox is just a bunch of diodes? if the replacement one works, might open my old one up and see if i can replace / test it.. be alot cheaper lol! the rubber was already split on one edge - so that cant be good..

well not gonna give up on this motor.. she was running so sweet and smooth!

thanks for all the help guys!

fyi yes, was in seattle for the summers of 2012, 2014 and 2015 - they were awesome! and now here in Cape Town its middle of bleeding July and yesterday must have been 75! and hardly a drop of rain for 2 months - whats goin on :)

murphies law the rain will come when i finally get boat going -

Last edited:
Back