Logo

2005 Honda 225

Robrobs

Hi, I need help with a 2005 Honda 225 that's runs great at WOT but stalls at low RPMs, no alarms. Primer ball works as you must squeeze to restart. Changed out Racor filter but still stalls. Thanks. Rob.

You need to provide more information.

Does it just quit running all at once, or does it lose rpm's and then stalls out?

At what RPM's does it start stalling out?

Do you get an alarm? If so, is it continuous, long intermittent, or short intermittent?

Do you have the four-light key switch panel? If so, do any of the red lights come on when it is stalling? And does the green light stay on?

You need to provide more information.

Does it just quit running all at once, or does it lose rpm's and then stalls out?

At what RPM's does it start stalling out?

Do you get an alarm? If so, is it continuous, long intermittent, or short intermittent?

Do you have the four-light key switch panel? If so, do any of the red lights come on when it is stalling? And does the green light stay on?
Hi it starts bucking and losing rpms before it stalls below 2000 rpms. No alarms,not sure about red light coming on, I'll have to check. Green light has never been on. If you catch it in time squeezing the primer bulb saves it from stalling. Again WOT it runs fine. Thanks, R.

Green light has never been on????? Check again, it is difficult to see. When you first turn on your key switch all four lights should come on momentarily and you will hear two beeps from the alarm. Then, when the engine is running, the green light should remain on (and the red lights should remain off.) If it does not then you may have low oil pressure, which is definitely not good. The other possibilities are that the oil pressure sensor is clogged, disconnected, shorted, or has failed. If you are sure that the green light is not coming on while the engine is running, then your first priority should be to find out why.

When you first start up the engine and run it out, are their any problems then? If so, what?

What happens when the engine stalls out and you restart it? Does it run OK then?

Generally, when this kind of thing happens and there are no alarms, then most often it is a fuel feed problem. When is the last time you drained the VST? If you need instructions, send me an e-mail at [email protected].

When you squeeze the pump-up bulb and the engine recovers there are several possibilities.

1. Obstruction in the fuel line - however, that would more likely show up at higher rpm's when the engine is demanding more fuel.
2. The check valve in the pump up bulb has failed, but in that case you typically cannot get a firm bulb.
3. A clogged HP fuel filter, but again that will likely show up at higher RPM's.
4. Clogged or dirty VST.
5. A failing LP fuel pump, but also that is likely to show up at higher rpm's.

Thanks again, I'll double check the light asap. I have a new primer bulb and fuel line on order plus high and low pressure filters. I'll check in after replacing these parts. Thanks Rob

Back