Logo

8 hp 97 honda no spark

kwrosa

my coil exciter single wire is grounded out will this cause my no spark problem? what is the little box called with the 9 wires going to it

The exiter coil wire should go into that box you describe. It is called the "ignition module". When you say the wire is grounded, are you saying the wire has rubbed through someplace and is grounded thst way? Or do you mean that you are checking the wire with a meter and you are seeing low resistance?

I agree with Mike....if you measure at the end of the wire and at ground, if you only get an ohm or two resistance, the coil is, most likely, shorted to ground in the winding section.
I'm not sure if those coils are still available but they might be. Check boats.net Honda parts to see if one is listed for your outboard.

Good luck

It's a whole page worth in the Service Manual, this will link you into a library containing Service Manuals you can Search, Read and Print, but not download:
http://tinyurl.com/hklzgbe

You will need an OHM Meter that's a lot fancier than mine, along with knowledge on use of it. Don't know if it's a Special "Honda" Tool or not.

When my ignition module was acting up long ago, replacements were not available (not even eBay). Fortunately I was able to find that the insulation of some of the wiring from the module to the coil contained green paste (corroded copper) and I was able to solder in replacement wires for it and restore operation. I keep my Honda well lubricated and corrosion blocked now.

Good luck with all of it.
Art

Back