Logo

Vertical Shaft to replace or not

SirTomas Garcia

Hello All,

My BF225A XA has thrown the bushing UGH
I am hoping I caught it in time to not replace the vertical shaft although the extension case needs to be replaced. I have attached a few pictures for your review. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

TomIMG_3615.jpgIMG_3616.JPGIMG_3617.JPG

From the pictures, that bushing surface looks pretty rough to me. But that is a judgment call on your part. If I recall correctly, Aristikat (Jamie) had this same issue on his 03's. I believe that when he received a new extension case, it was re-designed to allow more water in there for lubrication. I suggest that you search his posts on this forum. He gave a lot of information on the issue. Alternatively, do a web search for Aristikat Charters in Venice, Florida and give him a call.

I'm no expert, but I did just replace both bushings on mine. They were shot, falling apart. And there was some corrosion, but not through the casing.

This bushing doesn't seem to do much, other than perhaps provide some stability against high-rev torque. So it's an alignment mechanism, but clearly not meant to be metal-to-metal, as it's just water-lubed. It's seems to function like a cutlass bearing on an inboard prop shaft.

So I don't place critical importance in it. For that reason, I'm not sure how important it is for your shaft to be perfect. It's not like it's a rod turning inside some roller bearings.

I heavily lubed my new ones and put it back together. My shafts were "reasonably" smooth.

Could you not just put in a filling weld and machine the pitting? It would be pretty inexpensive and as good as new again.

From the pictures, that bushing surface looks pretty rough to me. But that is a judgment call on your part. If I recall correctly, Aristikat (Jamie) had this same issue on his 03's. I believe that when he received a new extension case, it was re-designed to allow more water in there for lubrication. I suggest that you search his posts on this forum. He gave a lot of information on the issue. Alternatively, do a web search for Aristikat Charters in Venice, Florida and give him a call.

my new case came with different setup like he said, I would use emory cloth and just replace bushing.. sure is frustrating to see so many of us having same issue ..I love my Honda but these same issues sure upset me

My local dealer has a good rep. He says that this is a significant issue on the older ones. Recommendation now is to inspect and/or replace every 250hrs.

The problem is lack of sufficient flushing. Maybe lengthy flushing would help. Ideally, dipping the LU's in a barrel of fresh water for the flush might work great, but that's logistically unrealistic.

I put my new ones in with 4200 around the outside of the rubber. My intention is to seal off any water getting in between the rubber and the aluminum case. This doesn't interfere with the shaft going through the bushing itself. I greased the crap out of the inside of the bushing, and the shaft too.

A heat gun softens 4200 plenty well enough to get the bushing out.

Only time will tell if my solution works.

I would think the shaft and the bushing need water to keep it from going bad quickly. I think the real solution is preventative maintenance as you mentioned every 250 hrs

Back