Logo

Need Help / advise

TAIPAIN

First year with my boat . its an I/O . My Marina Mechanic sent me a report And on it stated .

1: Pieces of the Engine Exhaust Check Valve were Found to be Melted and Lodged in the bell housing Exhaust Passages .

2: out drive universal joints found to be corroded/rusted .universal joint bellow found to be fouled with gear lube suspect failed input seal .

Im not a mechanic but that all sounds bad .

any insight or advise would be greatly appreciated .

What is the year of this boat and what engine do you have?

Exhaust Flappers not so important as long as nothing is blocking the pipe. Why did the flapper melt is the concern.

Gear oil in the drive shaft bellows is due to a leaking drive shaft seal, no big deal as long as the yoke seal surface is in good condition. Rust on the joints shows a leaking drive bellows. If the bellows was replaced the rust may be old. You will want to make sure the Joints are loose(if not replace them) and the rust is removed so it does not harm the new seal.

Last edited:
What is the year of this boat and what engine do you have?

Exhaust Flappers not so important as long as nothing is blocking the pipe. Why did the flapper melt is the concern.

Gear oil in the drive shaft bellows is due to a leaking drive shaft seal, no big deal as long as the yoke seal surface is in good condition. Rust on the joints shows a leaking drive bellows. If the bellows was replaced the rust may be old. You will want to make sure the Joints are loose(if not replace them) and the rust is removed so it does not harm the new seal.

Its a 96 searay sundancer 25 foot im not sure of the engine .

I was just afraid the mechanic was doing unnecessary repairs that would cost a lot im sure

First year with my boat . its an I/O . My Marina Mechanic sent me a report And on it stated .

1: Pieces of the Engine Exhaust Check Valve were Found to be Melted and Lodged in the bell housing Exhaust Passages .
Is this mechanic English speaking?
These are back flow prevention flappers, and if one was to become dislodged, it would end up in the down tube, or V-8 Y-pipe.

For the other issue, listen to Chris's advice.

Its a 96 searay sundancer 25 foot im not sure of the engine .

I was just afraid the mechanic was doing unnecessary repairs that would cost a lot im sure

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... The exhaust shutters stop water from rushin' back up the exhaust system into the motor, which can cause hydro-lock, 'n destroy the motor,...
In a big heavy boat, Like Yer's, I think they oughta be Replaced,.....
Parts won't be too bad, but labor will be high,.....

The oil is Critical to the drive,...
The drive ain't gotta leak much, 'n the top gear set runs, Dry, turnin' to dust in no time, which falls down into the lower unit, destroyin' it too,...
It also, Has to be repaired,....
Parts will be High, 'n the labor even higher,....

Taipain, buy a Seloc (engine) book for your boat, TODAY!! Your engine has a model number & year on it somewhere. You also need to find out what kind of Sterndrive you have. If you can’t find the info ask the mechanic who looked at your boat and write that info down in your new book. You will need it for every part you but in the future. Every parts clerk will ask for this info before they can do anything to help you.

Your should know, Manufacture, Year, HP, carb or fuel injection, Model # and drive type, if it’s an Alpha # or Bravo #

July 3 at 4:00pm on a long weekend my boat, decided to break down on the water, my impeller desegregated 200 yards from the dock, I over heated and limped into the dock with the alarms blowing. The next day I replacing my impeller having never done it before. I flushed the engine and to my surprise I found this burned up piece of rubber outside the boat. Funny huh, I looked up for airplanes and ended up blaming by kids for leaving trash around the drive way. A few hours later, thinking & googling on what that could have been. I found out what it was.
Backflow flaps, 2 of them, 5 inches in dia. but I only found half of 1. Huh. Looked at my book. Even found a marina opened on the 4th of july, I was on the water on the 5th. In all I took off 4 strap-on clamps reset the new parts and put back on the 4 strap-on clamps. DONE!

Universal joints, easy after you get familiar with the sterndrive. Free rental of a bearing press from advanced auto parts.

You need to become familiar with your boat. Then at least you will know what’s what. When getting advice from anybody. Some serious repairs need a mechanic most maintenance repairs do not with the Seloc book and a little time/tools.

After you get the book you should pull your sterndrive off, 6 bolts. And see what the mechanic is talking about. Everything they said is easy to do with your labor and Seloc book and websites like this.

After you get the book, get familiar with the connections between the sterndrive and the boat. This area is called the gimbal housing. Lots of maintenance in and around here. Like the bellows, shift cables, gimbal bearing and the gimbal seal.

Also get familiar with impeller and you should check this now also, if it looks good keep it, if not change it, put everything back together again, most likely only 4 or 5 bolts holding the impeller housing in place. easy to do.

Last edited:
Back