Logo

Wiring issues. Any help pls

jvail350

i have a j50belct and what i believe is a 55el79c. Both wiring harness are similar but both have been hacked and spliced into before i purchased. I had originally bought a boat with the j50 but had compression issues and lasted only a couple of weeks. So i found a 55 that compared nicely for pretty cheap thinking i could swap parts back and forth. These motors have been giving me a heck of a time and just want to get one working properly. The 50 needs new sleeves, pistons, etc but the 55 has great compression and all new electronics. I have taken the 55 to a local shop and they said it is a great motor but they dont know why it is sneezing or stalling. Mechanic says he thinks its an overheat issue but they will not work on it tune it up until the warning alarm and sensors are hooked up properly. The mechanic assured me i could do it myself and save the $95/hr charge if i found the diagram but i am completely stuck right now. I am looking for the proper wiring diagram to wire the warning horn, kill switch, and temp sensor into. i have found one on google but when i wired it up to no avail did the warning horn work. Even tried directly grounding the temp sensor wire at the block and remote control. Also on the quick disconnect plugs, on both motors, the rempte side has 8 wires going in and only 7 wires on the motor side. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. i know johnsons are supposed to be fairly easy/fun to work on but i am having a nightmare not being able to get on the water and fish. Thank you guys in advance.

REMCONTBOX.jpg

http://www.maxrules.com/
Look at the wiring diagrams basically all red plugs are interchangeable with the same number of pins.
http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/omc/wiring/77-78_55HP.jpg

Thank you for the diagram. i finally figured the warning horn out.... i had all the wiring correct, i was actually sent a defective horn. i have to put pressure on one of the male connectors of the horn down to make it sound. something is loose in side of the horn assembly.

can anyone tell me if the temperature sensor on my model puts the power pack in safe/slow mode if it over heats? or is it simply just a sensor for audible alarm? i was trying to read the diagram but it doesnt seem like there is anyway for the powerpack to know if it is getting above operating temperaturre or not to cut ignition. also when i ground the temp sensor out to check the alarm...should it be a continuous sound or a intermittent beep? I am only getting a continuous alarm when sensor is shorted to ground. mechanic had told me that there are different intermittent beeps for different alarms but i dont see that possible with the electronics i have. thanks again

The temp switch on the engine provides ground for the warning horn in the controls. I dont have your exact wiring diagram but is likely the tan wire in the loop. To test the circuit just turn the key on run and short the wire at the temp switch on the motor to ground. Then you know the circuit is good. The only way to test the switch is to overheat it.

Back