Logo

J15EEOD 15hp Johnson 95 Start in Gear Protection/Idle gear?

blee

Just got my boat back from shop. Broken off reed valve. Anyways, prior to the incident that most likely broke the reed valve off, my little 15hp ran great. It had what seemed like 3 gear positions, reverse, idle, forward. After the shop repair it just has reverse straight into forward. Is this a missing part (start in gear protection?) Or is something out of adjustment? I do know that before the motor would start in gear forward or reverse, or the neutral. While looking at the gear lever that is triggered from the gear shift, it seems to fall into the only two grooves that I can see.

Seems like something that could be cheap and easy to fix on my own. Did a quick search for a part to no avail. Any info on what this may be would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

First are you turning the prop when shifting ?--------Is the link to lock the recoil when in gear in place ?------Have you considered taking it back to the shop or are they not willing to help out ?

Yes racerone, It starts great, sounds great, 115/115 compression. But the prop turns at a slightly higher than idle at start. Used to start in an intermittent turning idle type. Now it's either forward higher than idle or reverse. The snapping between gear shifts doesn't sound any different than before in the 3 position shift? But it doens't sound healthy, although I hear boats much nicer than mine do the same thing. Just wondering if that is going to wear on the lower unit, the grinding between gears, if any??? And if the forward off throttle resembles the idle speed, maybe the gear shift was gummed up enough to where I didn't notice it really was just two gears and the sticky middle position was really just forward but not fully engaged?......in the boat game a little over a year. No issues until Thanksgiving this year.

You have three positions fwd-neutral-rev it should click in all three positions. Pull the gearbox and check if the shift is sticky be sure to turn the prop or driveshaft clockwise as you quickly shift into gear. When the engine is running you do not want to shift slow either. Engine should be at around 700-750 rpm when shifting or you get the grinding noise. Sounds like you either need a different mechanic or get a book and do the work yourself. Get the gearbox shifting properly and then rebuild the carb and adjust engine sync. Sounds like you have a combination of issues that need addressed.
http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Lower_unit.htm

Back