Logo

About to pull the trigger, please advise!

Maraian

Contributing Member
So I'm about to buy a boat with a 2002 Sea Maxx 5.7L with 300 hours on it. The service manual says maximum cruising rpm is 3800. The engine data read out displays 155 hours at 4000-5000 rpm. The previous owner says he cruised at 4200 rpm and that PCM said it was "ok". I reached out PCM but of course they did not tell me it was ok, they just refered me back to the service manual.

Does anyone have experience with a situation like this. I'm inclined to think its not such a big deal and myself have cruised above reccomended Rpmss in the past

Does anyone think it's ok, only 155 hours not a big deal or run like H E double hockey sticks?
thanks

Ayuh,.... A compression, 'n leak-down test will tell ya more 'bout the overall health of the motor, than an hour meter,.....

Not awhole lotta difference 'tween 3800, 'n 4200,.....

So I'm about to buy a boat with a 2002 Sea Maxx 5.7L with 300 hours on it. The service manual says maximum cruising rpm is 3800.
I would think that the service manual is suggesting a cruise RPM of 3,800.

The engine data read out displays 155 hours at 4000-5000 rpm.
A sustained 4k to 5k rpm will typically shorten engine life!

The previous owner says he cruised at 4200 rpm and that PCM said it was "ok".
Again, a sustained 4+K rpm will typically shorten engine life.

I reached out PCM but of course they did not tell me it was ok, they just refered me to the service manual.
And the service manual says ?????

Does anyone have experience with a situation like this. I'm inclined to think its not such a big deal and myself have cruised above reccomended Rpmss in the past.
Understand the differences between suggested OEM WOT RPM, and cruising RPM. These are not the same.

...... WOT RPM is much higher, and is used exclusively to determine if the engine is geared and propped correctly.
...... Cruise RPM should be enough to get the hull on top of the water Plus Some..... but not excessive.

Does anyone think it's ok, only 155 hours not a big deal or run like H E double hockey sticks?
thanks
Do you have a qualified Marine Surveyor involved? If not, perhaps you should!

Back