Logo

2008 BF8A - Pull Head Without Removing Entire Engine?

So far so good!

For 2 minutes or so, the cylinder that had water coming in was firing intermittently.

Guessing some water was still creeping in until the new head gasket got up to temperature or there was still dampness in it or something.

Engine is running extremely well now!! Both cylinders as smooth as can be.

Thanks for all the help. A successful thread.

And the thing only ran on both cylinders for 15 minutes.

By the time I went to use it next, it was back to one cylinder only working.

Damn.

Spark plugs? They work/spark, but are old. Ignition coil?

I'll check to see if there is more water getting in. I'm guessing so. That means bad block...and scrapyard.

Question possibly for another thread:

I really dislike saltwater cooled systems. Invariably, they are the source of all evil on larger cruising boats. I designed my entire boat without thru hulls below the waterline. Everything is air cooled and off the shelf...and will last a long time and be cheap to replace if it breaks.

How similar are the motor mounts on my Honda BF8A to the mounts for an air cooled, vertical shaft Honda engine?

This is my next step if the block is bad.

Excess noise easily dealt with by piping exhaust down as it is with the standard outboard... below the waterline.

I know I need the heavy flywheel too...

Man... looks like the air cooled doesn't even come close to fitting by bolt pattern or by physical size/layout.

Guess I have to buy a new outboard.

Dragging my feet because I have no insurance and don't want thousands of $$$ just sitting there unattended.

Answer this question.-----------do you have spark on both leads that will jump a gap of 1/4" ( 6 mm ) or more on both leads ?-----------Have you checked valve clearance ?

No power. I replaced Bf8a head gasket and now it barely has enough power to keep running. In fact after it warms up, it stalls and when in f gear, will not rev past idle rpm. I’m thinking low compression - either assembly error, or bolts had preload resulting in lower torque than specified in manual (which I followed w pattern n torque wrench). 2 Qs. Do I need another new head gasket? Other tips? I’m hoping to compression test and re- torque head bolts.

Back