Logo

volvo engine swap

mikefe

I have a 1976 aq140 with a 280 outdrive. I can buy a 1985 Volvo V8 with a 280 outdrive still in the boat that runs great. Is it possible to bolt this motor in with the newer outdrive?
What years are the transom shield bolt and hole the same? Is it possible to use my outdrive with changing the lower part to match the correct gear ratio The boat I'm getting has all the wiring and gauges which is a plus.
I know going to a different boat would be easier, but I have spent the last couple of years restoring a Lap Strake 26ft. Clipper Craft Dory.
Any information on how I would go about this and what I would need would be great.
Thanks

I have a 1976 aq140 with a 280 outdrive. I can buy a 1985 Volvo V8 with a 280 outdrive still in the boat that runs great. Is it possible to bolt this Engine in with the newer outdrive?

If you were to take everything from the 1985 boat (V-8 engine, engine mounts, V-8 transom shield, V-8 exhaust system, etc) over to the 1976 boat, yes!

What years are the transom shield bolt and hole the same?
In the AQ series from the 250, 270, 280, 275 and 285, the cut-out and mounting bolt pattern is the same.
What differs is the collar steering fork shaft diameter, exhaust relief count and location.
In other words, your AQ225 or AQ260 exhaust Y-pipe will not work with your AQ140 transom shield.

Is it possible to use my outdrive with changing the lower part to match the correct gear ratio.
If you mean the AQ140 drive..... and if you perform the correct shimming calculations and shim above the vertical shaft TRB race correctly.... Yes!

The boat I'm getting has all the wiring and gauges which is a plus.
I know going to a different boat would be easier, but I have spent the last couple of years restoring a Lap Strake 26ft. Clipper Craft Dory.
Any information on how I would go about this and what I would need would be great.
Thanks

Just follow what's existing in the 1985 boat, and you should be OK.

NOTE: when going back together, at minimum replace the inboard rubber cushion, replace both sections of 95mm soft wall exhaust hose (go at least 2" longer on each), and go with a HTGR/PMGR starter motor.

Thank you. Do you do this kind of work? If not would you know someone in the portland OR area that does?
Mike Ferguson

Thank you. Do you do this kind of work? If not would you know someone in the portland OR area that does?
Mike Ferguson

Mike, I did this very type of AQ series Volvo Penta service for 24 years. I have since quit doing it and am now focussing on my rental properties.

As for a suggestion....... not many of us want to do this older VP work these days, so I would not know who to send you to.

Keep in mind that these are among the easiest to work on. If you were to take this on, I would be glad to answer any questions.

Back