Logo

Why does my honda 04 8hp 4 stroke have 2 tell tale ports...???

Excursion73

Picked up a cherry motor...
Runs great but I'm curious on why there are 2 ports for the tell tale...side by side.
I have a great stream from one, so what's the other for?
Also:
Should any water be spitting out of the front exhaust port pipe....the one about 8 inches below the cowling hatch....
Any input will be appreciated as I am new to honda outboards. ....

One of the holes is the pee hole....the other is for the fuel drain hose for the carburetor. The pee hole should have a black hose on it and the drain hole should have a clear hose going to the carburetor.

You have a good motor, that should last a long time if serviced regularly.

The exhaust port pipe normally does not have much water coming out, if any.

If you do not have an owner's manual, you can download one for free from Honda. http://marine.honda.com/support/manuals/models/BF8

Just pick the correct one by using your frame serial number found on the motor's mounting plate. It could be on the side or sometimes on the front under the steering arm.

The manual tells you how to change your oil and do all the basic servicing.

If you are going to change your impeller in the future, you can download the instructions too...http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/pubs/pci54299pdf.pdf

Just a couple things to know...

-If you change plugs only use the NGK brand specified in the manual. Do not use any other substitute.
-Use only mineral based motor oil 10w30 (not synthetic)...and fill only to about 1/4 inch below the full mark. If you overfill, the motor will run like crap and may not even start.
-If you lay it down, only lay it on the little feet on the side of the motor. There are instructions on the side of the motor, as to which side is up.
-Most of all, use a good fuel treatment all the time with your fuel(Stabil Marine, Pri-g, or equivalent) and when you are finished using the motor and it will be sitting for more than three weeks, pull the fuel connector off and run the motor out of fuel and DRAIN THE CARBURETOR. If you see where the clear drain hose attaches to the carburetor....on the otherside of the bowl of the carburetor is a black screw. Use a long flathead screwdriver and loosen the screw a turn or two...do not take it out. Fuel should drain out the hole next to the pee hole. If it does not the hose may be clogged with mud from little critters....then you have to clean it out.

This should get you started.

Mike

Back