Logo

4.3l 06

sfin

"I Meant to add Not firing as a title apologies can't seem to edit "

I have a 2005 / 2006 4.3L Mercruiser fuel injected that is not firing - I have started the process of elimination and this is what I have found out so far.

1. Engine turns over
  2. There is a spark
  3. The fuel pump appears to run so it's not power to the pump, when I turn on the ignition I can here it come on a whirl
  4. Fuel has be lying up for a couple of months in the heat

Before I tackle this at the weekend it would be great to get some advise and procedure to follow. Should I bypass the filter into a seperate clean tank of fuel? is there
another way to check if the pump is sucking? I'm not a mechanic but I like to think I am technical and have worked with outboards before and willing to try anything.

Can the fuel pump be making noise when the ignition is on but then not suck anything or not activate? Would a dirty fuel filter stop the engine to fire?

Thanks.

Although I am not the most knowledgeable on EFI I will add one thing for you to check

On EFI the pump should turn on when the key is in the on/run position. It should also turn off when the line pressure reaches its set point. I am not 100% sure what that is but I would think around 45 psi.

The way to determine if you are getting that fuel pressure is to purchase or borrow a high pressure fuel tester.

There is a Schrader valve, similar to one on a tire/wheel of a car/truck. This is the test point for checking fuel pressure.

This is the way to determine if you have fuel pressure.

If not then more diagnostics is needed.

Although I am not the most knowledgeable on EFI I will add one thing for you to check

On EFI the pump should turn on when the key is in the on/run position. It should also turn off when the line pressure reaches its set point. I am not 100% sure what that is but I would think around 45 psi.

The way to determine if you are getting that fuel pressure is to purchase or borrow a high pressure fuel tester.

There is a Schrader valve, similar to one on a tire/wheel of a car/truck. This is the test point for checking fuel pressure.

This is the way to determine if you have fuel pressure.

If not then more diagnostics is needed.

Thanks for the reply - Good info I'll check out this valve - I don't have or have access to a pressure tester but they seem reasonably priced I'm going to try and take off the fuel filter first and check it's content for any water and crap.

All sorted :D - I removed the entire filter system then got a clean container of petrol, I put the fuel hoses straight into the clean tank and and cycled the key on and off while the air came out, engine fired first time :)

Back