Logo

detroit 671 black smoke and soot through the rev range just .

FORMULA233

vessel is a 42 Trojan WITH FULLY OPTIONED 671 what i found might be of help both engines have breather filters fitted one of the two was fitted correctly but wasnt serviced i undid canister only to find filter and canister full of oil i cleaned it all up and put back together less filter ran up heaps of smoke and soot this all in neutral i went the next day started the engine and straight into high revs for about 5mins 99percent of smoke gone the customer had advised by 2 Detroit gurus that injectors etc had to be replaced at a cost 10k the smoke was extreme for hundreds of meters so keep it in mind crank vent 850 and 1000 need to be serviced very regular.

Really? 2 techs had failed to crack open the breathers and look? Pitiful. There HAD to be external clues to that.

What model? Does it have turbos or intercoolers? A bad turbo or dirty intercooler can cause black smoke. I've never seen all the injectors go bad at the same time. And I've been using 671s since the early 60's. Most ports have an injector service that can rebuild Detroit injectors if it comes to that. Also, every 1000 hours the air box is supposed to be opened and the ports cleaned. Carbon can build up and reduce the port size - restricting air. Anything that restricts air can cause the engine to run rich, including poor vents for the engine room.

Most black smoke is gone going service EVERYTHING bring it in to line, the engines are fully optioned i wii let you know how it performs all finished.

Need Help!! I have a Trojan 12 meter with 671 TI,s. Since rebuilt my port engine gives white smoke on Idle and oil seeping from two exhaust ports of manufold, it gives black smoke on load max RPM 1800. Starboard engine no issues max RPM on load 2600 and no smoke. Have tried rack adjustment, governor, injector timming etc, nothing works..Need help please

Shamsul hasan start your own thread. right below FORUM HOME ,click on NEW POSTS, Top of home page left upper corner

Back