Logo

Sterndrive Identification

patzo

Appreciate any help some of the experienced folks could offer on this.

I purchased a loose Sterndrive from a local boat shop that went out of business. So I have no way of tying this back to an actual boat or motor for further help.

This drive is shown in attached pics. I am thinking it is likely some form of a 280 or 290 but not sure which one or what ratio this might be. Can anybody assist as to exact match.

I have scoured the unit for tags but haven't found any.

Note the extra holes in attach points.

Thank you

Attachments

• DSCF6536 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF6536 (Medium).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Post that number we can barely see on the pic 3rd from end.
Just forward from the dipstick. Someone will decode it for you.

That is an early 290.
The anchorage bracket hinge pin bosses, and the early style bearing crosses are the dead-give-a-ways.

If it's a 1.61:1 ratio, it's worth something.

I have written down the following numbers off the unit. The one in the location that Castle Cape referred to around the dipstick: there is a 179 with a longer number below it 1101539227 There is an 87 stamped in a circle on the casting with dots around it in this location.

THere is also a VOLVO PENTA stamp with numbers, hard to make out but I believe its 853005 FA1

Do these numbers mean anything to anybody?

How would I know what units this would be compatible with and possibly ratio?

I'd post pics of numbers but apparently there is a 6 pic limit per post that I can't seem to overcome.

Thank you, appreciate your help!!!

That is an early 290.
The anchorage bracket hinge pin bosses, and the early style bearing crosses are the dead-give-a-ways.

If it's a 1.61:1 ratio, it's worth something.

Like said, that is an early 290.
Pull the prop shaft ring anode and you will expose the aft area of the prop shaft bearing carrier.
Stamped into the aft end of it will be the overall reduction...... I.E., ratio.

The gear reduction will let you know which engine the drive was most likely paired up with.

Last edited:
I pulled the anode ring around the output prop shaft anddidn't find any legible numbers there. Is it under the next cover? Seems likethat would expose gearing and potentially unseal the unit? I pulled thosebigger bolts out but that piece seems unmovable. Probably needs some sortof puller?

Regardless, I pulled the gear selector rear cover and shifted it in gear.Seems to shift into gear forward and reverse and neutral just fine.

I measured that I need to turn the input about 1.625turns (complete guess as to the exact number) to get about 1 turn on the propshaft.

So what does this mean?

I pulled the anode ring around the output prop shaft anddidn't find any legible numbers there. Is it under the next cover? Seems likethat would expose gearing and potentially unseal the unit? I pulled thosebigger bolts out but that piece seems unmovable. Probably needs some sortof puller?
No need to remove the "prop shaft bearing carrier". That would cause the need for new O-ring seals.
As I suggested, the ring anode will be consealing the stamped numbers. Remove the ring anode.
Take a wire brush to the AFT most area of the aluminum bearing carrier....... you will reveal the numbers.

Regardless, I pulled the gear selector rear cover and shifted it in gear.Seems to shift into gear forward and reverse and neutral just fine.
Even a broken or damaged AQ Volvo Penta transmission will shift smoothly. It's sort of a false/positive test.

I measured that I need to turn the input about 1.625turns (complete guess as to the exact number) to get about 1 turn on the propshaft.
If you began with the sliding sleeve locked up within the gear cup...... your test will be fairly accurate.

There were only 3 gear reductions back then........ 2.15:1, 1.89:1 and 1.61:1.

So what does this mean?
I'm going to bet that you have a drive with a 1.61:1 reduction (I.E., over-all ratio as per the lower unit).
This is the ratio for any of the V-8 engines.

Used acetone and wire brush on area around prop bearing and can't find any numbers.

Did turn the shafts more in an effort to make sure what the ratio is. It takes 8 input turns to get 5 Output turns. 8/5=1.6 so likely 1.61

Thanks for all the help!!!

Hey Patzo,

That looks like a really nice drive. If you want to sell it, let me know, thanks.
Where are you located?

regards,

Kevin

Back