Logo

Seems to not be running on 2 cylinders

Edward Koegler

Hello all I have a 1996 125 4 cylinder mariner offshore
The engine lacks powe it has 125 lbs compression on all 4 I just changed all the fuel lines up to the carbs and fuel pump..
While it's idling I can pull 3 an 4 cylinder plug wore off an there is no change like they are not working the coils are firing and the carbs are clean.any thoughts??
Also the rubber fuel line right where the connection for the squeeze ball is kinda soft.

Agreed , that motor only runs on # 1 and # 2 when idling.------That is the way it was designed.------------The bottom 2 carburetors kick in above 1800 RPM or so.------More trouble shooting needs to be done.----Is this something that showed up suddenly ?

I had that exact same motor check the molded fuel line by the fuel pump. Mine went soft twice on me it will suck itself closed and you will lose power. The problem would show up when I tried pulling skiers Replace all the soft fuel lines.

Thanks for the reply.
I just purchased the boat and when I first ran it it wouldn't plane out I changed the water fuel separator and it did better I used it for about 1 hr or so then it started again no power. I will get the molded fuel line next..
Also do you suggest disconnecting the oil injection and mix my own gas?

I had mine on an ss170 starcraft fiberglass My best day was 52 mph gps at 5250 rpm with a 21" aluminum. Leave the oil injection on it's a good system that works. You do not want to rev over 5250 they don't like it. I don't remember what attaches into the line if the oil injection line does you may need to bleed it. Your boat should be into the 40s. That was one of my favorite motors great power and a smooth idle. I don't know if this had anything to do my line going soft but the first 2 yrs I used stabil and the line was soft. I used omc 2+4 and never had the problem again.

According to the speedometer it was running 35 or so max rpm 5,000 struggling to plane out..I'll get the moulded line next like I said it's very soft..Thanks so much for the reply.

Back