Logo

Quick question

webbrs

Hello to all and Happy New Year!
Been reading on the site for a couple of weeks so I thought I would register and jump on in.
I recently acquired a 1972 25253r 25hp Evinrude for $160, so the $375 I gave to M/E.com didn't hurt too too much. It is rough around the edges with some neglect but hopeful it will come around.

I have been reading the manual on boatinfo and it keeps referring to "magnets" under the flywheel. I checked both dogs with a screwdriver and only one has magnetism. It had proper spark on both cylinders although weak, which I attributed to bad gap, mis-set points and corroded wire ends but both wires fire. I was of the notion that one of the dogs is for balance and one is the magnet that triggers the coil. Am I wrong or is the verbiage throwing me off?
Also, is it proper to begin a new thread every time? I have many "quick questions". lol
Thanks
Rick

Only needs one set of magnets.------What do you mean by " proper spark that is weak " here.---------Answer this way spark will jump a gap of 1/4 " or it will not.

Last edited:
That is a magneto ignition it only has one magnet on the flywheel. It charges the ignition coils and the points trigger the coils when they open. You check spark with a open air spark gap tester, you must jump a gap of at least 1/4 inch crisp blue snap. If the coils are cracked just replace them with new points and condensers. What is M/E.com?

Hello to all and Happy New Year!
Been reading on the site for a couple of weeks so I thought I would register and jump on in.
........................................................... is it proper to begin a new thread every time? I have many "quick questions". lol
Thanks
Rick

Best to start a new thread for a new question unless perhaps related to a previous one.
Try to give them meaningful titles too.

What is M/E.com?

Marineengine.com perhaps. They supply boat engine parts and accessories. Run a boat repair forum too I believe

Back