Logo

BF50 Trim Angle Sensor - Bypass?

Stabi430

Hi, Sam here
I am a total novice to this forum and boating, from New Zealand
I have a 1997 BF50A-BAZL (LRT)
After several trips out in the boat with the Buzzer alarm going off intermittently (not the constant buzz but a pulse) I tracked down the very crusty and brittle trim angle sensor which fell to bits as I unbolted it to try and free it up. (I tried to glue it back together in the down position but the contacts are stuffed).
My question is can I connect the wires (Orange, Blue/Yellow, Black) together in a particular arrangement to form a circuit which tells the alarm/trim control
module the motor is in the full down position?

20160101_213104.jpg

Thanks heaps any help much appreciated.

Last edited:
Thought I better mention, I am not being a complete cheep-skate - It will take some time for me to source a replacement part and get it shipped down here.
As it's the middle of summer I am just keen as to get out on the water asap! I also don't think I really need this function so might be able to save myself a few hundred bucks!

Cheers

Sam

Last edited:
Hey Sam.
I'm a fellow kiwi with the same motor an same trim sensor problem. if you remove your engine cover and look at the port side under the black plastic wiring cover if i remember correctly the third from bottom bullet connector yellow black is the trim sender wire to the remote. If you disconnect this it will solve your problem.
I will be home wednesday NZ time and will look at my motor to check that what i have advised is correct. I never replaced mine due to price & simply not needing it.

Hi Dean,
Thanks for your advice, it was indeed the yellow/black wire.
I took the boat out for a test today and no alarm. Do you know if this disables the alarm for overheating as-well or just the trim sensor?

Cheers

I am a novice to the BF50. Can you tell me exactly where the trim sender/sensor is located? Or provide a picture? I have no idea where it is. I’ve replaced the gauge and still not working so need to check sensor next.
THANK YOU!

Hi, Sam here
I am a total novice to this forum and boating, from New Zealand
I have a 1997 BF50A-BAZL (LRT)
After several trips out in the boat with the Buzzer alarm going off intermittently (not the constant buzz but a pulse) I tracked down the very crusty and brittle trim angle sensor which fell to bits as I unbolted it to try and free it up. (I tried to glue it back together in the down position but the contacts are stuffed).
My question is can I connect the wires (Orange, Blue/Yellow, Black) together in a particular arrangement to form a circuit which tells the alarm/trim control
module the motor is in the full down position?

View attachment 12599

Thanks heaps any help much appreciated.

Hey Jim.
if you look at your motor on the port side. The sender unit is on the inside of the transom bracket, tucked inside close to the tilt ram. There will be wires from the motor cowling leading to it.

Thank you! Found it easily! Attempting to add photo but can't get that figured out! Not sure why it's so dang challenging to get pics uploaded! :-(

So, I'm going to assume I've identified the correct part. It appears that the lever is missing/broker off. Now, how do I track down a replacement part/sending unit?

Thank you again for the guidance and any additional help!

Jim

Hey Jim.
if you look at your motor on the port side. The sender unit is on the inside of the transom bracket, tucked inside close to the tilt ram. There will be wires from the motor cowling leading to it.

I never replaced mine due to the crazy price.
I don’t know where you are but e bay or boats.net are a good start.
You can go on boats, get the part number, google it & see what pops up.
I never changed mine as I only need to look over my shoulder to see my motor.

good luck
Dean.

Ps.
Ive only ever seen them as complete units.
you would need the arm, spring & screw to repair yours.

I think i tracked one down for $90 free shipping. Hopefully it’s the correct item. Will know I. The next week or so, depending on when I get the chance to install.

thanks again, Dean!

Just found out that the part is on national backorder from Honda with several weeks to fulfillment! :-( Guess I'll keep looking over my shoulder! Was hoping to get that fixed and get the boat ready to sell to move on to a different ride.

Try Boats.Net. Also, get the correct part number off of boats.net and do an Internet search.

Thanks. I reached out to Boats.net earlier to have them check (hands on) to confirm that they have the part. Two other places showed on hand but they didn't actually have the part. I'll wait for Boats to respond. Or maybe I'll just place the order and wait for their confirmation or cancellation!

I got the new trim sensor installed. Also has new gauge. Still not registering any up/down movement. Put the old gauge back in and no movement. Any help with troubleshooting, what else to check and where??

Try Boats.Net. Also, get the correct part number off of boats.net and do an Internet search.

Back