Logo

Inspect Manifolds??

kevin_z

Regular Contributor
1995 Crusader 454XL full closed cooling system with 850hrs. I replaced the manifolds, U-cooler, and risers six years ago and did the risers again three years ago. I just ordered new risers. When, or should I, remove the manifolds to inspect?? My thinking is to remove the manifolds and clean, repaint, and replace with new gaskets and bolts. At the same time replace coolant. Am I taking my maintenance a little to far? No over heating issues or other problems. Want to keep it that way!!

PREVENTIVE maintenance is a good thing but................If it ain't broken....don't fix it.:rolleyes:.

If you have the capital to purchase all the spare parts then go ahead and do it but, personally, I wouldn't be fixing/replacing something that is working well....but I might have spares on-board just in case.....:rolleyes:

(((((Twin Crusader 1991 350s, RAW water (fresh water) cooled...nothing has been replaced ..yet :eek:.....only about 50 hours a year on the engines)))))

Happy New Year.:cool:

I use a digital temperature gun with infrared sight to keep track of flow through the entire cooling system. It allows me to find and track hotspots without having to dismantle for inspection.

The exhaust manifolds will last as long as the boat as long as you keep the antifreeze solution in good order....

The IR gun suggested is spot on!!

O.K. I have decided to keep manifolds in place and will only replace risers. I use my IR gun often. in fact, a lot!!! No hot spots. My thinking to remove the manifolds was when I rebuilt the STBD engine, three of the eight bolts broke. Engine being out of the hole, it was a easy fix. That was thee yeas ago, on the port side, manifolds have been on for over six years and a rebuild is hopefully not in the near future. soooooo just thinking!!! Will let you know how risers look after three years in salt water with no flushing EVER

Back