Logo

Well I'm Guilty ..... And You ???

willow

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys/Gals....

Waiting for the first snow fall in this region so spent a few hours reading the 2015 threads on this Crusader engine forum.

I really think it would benefit all of us that when an individual posts a problem and many other posters climb into the thread and suggest solutions, whether they be correct or not, that the initial poster who first posed the problem come back when he/she has the resolution.

I think it is kinda frustrating for all if a problem is posted and the poster does not close the thread with the final resolution. People give up a lot of their time and knowledge in a heartfelt attempt to help each other out and it would benefit all if the solution for the problem was posted at the thread end............how about we all try that in 2016.:D

OK...I said I was guilty and I am....you may recall I had a problem back in the summer with an engine just shutting down after 4 or 5 hours of cruising,,,,,,this is part of the initial post

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?424903-So-Many-Options

Twin Crusader 1991 350s .......................10 hour trip..................5 hours into trip, (cruising at 1500 RPM) starboard engine RPM rolled back a couple of hundred RPM went back up and then rolled back about 300 RPM, then rolled back and engine quit, no noise, no backfiring,...................About 10 mins later I decided to try to start the engine .......I started the starboard engine, (started on first try), and it did the same thing after about 20 minutes of running. Did the same sequence about 6 times to get to destination........................ Anyhow...all fuel filters checked.....no problems evident....no antiphon valve on this boat................Tank 1/2 full of fuel...........I suspect COIL problem as the coil looks a bit rusty on the top.........new plugs, Dist Cap and rotor installed this year ........................The obvious sequence is to probably swap the coils between engines and see what happens but I would welcome any thoughts or other avenues I can explore should the COIL not be the problem....((The marina experts, (fellow-non-mechanical boaters) feel that the coil is slowly breaking down and when cooled it works again???))))

The follow through was to change the module, the coil and finally part of the distributor. The carb was working exactly as it should. This entire process took close to 2 months as the mechanic was tied up with different boats. The problem was not life threatening and only happened after 3 -5 hours of cruising and we were in the 1000 Islands and no trips lasted over two hours and we thought the problem was solved and the real test would be the trip back home, (about 11-12 hours).

We thought we had it aced until about 8 hours into the trip this time the starboard engine quite again. Limped home and decided that we probably had a contaminate in the fuel tank. Boat put up on the hard and this time, after spending close to $1000.00 on that mechanic, I would start the quest to find the problem.

I thought I would start by taking all the old on/off fuel tank valve as well as the fuel tank quantity float apparatus and all fuel lines for that engine off and replacing them....( hey, I had to start somewhere). The first piece out was the fuel tank outlet pipe and quantity gauge float etc.................and here it comes.........(the mechanic who was working on the boat during the summer stated that I had no anti-siphon valves due to the age of the boat/engines........HE WAS WRONG)The anti-siphon valve was there, a very small piece of gear, and the ball bearing in it was very gummy......and certainly did not move freely. Replaced the valve ($3.95)...checked the port side and that valve was very free and easy...no problems there.

Is the problem resolved??? I certainly think so because the fuel filters during this entire venture never showed anything but the proof will be our voyage leaving the port next year and it will be once again a 12 hour trip so we will have to wait for that test..................so once again I will come back and let you know the FINAL result.

Happy boating in 2016 guys/gals
:cool:

Wonder if maybe this is related more to the fuel level in the tank than running time. The ASV causes some restriction, but with low fuel level the pump has to work harder still.

I wouldn't think so Dave. I run with full tanks probably 90% of the time. When the "flame-out" happened last time , I immediately opened the x-feed after shutting the stbd tank off and fired up the engine. Now I ran close to 3 more hours with both engines running out of one tank. I think the fuel pump would be OK.

As well, when I changed all the plumbing in the starboard tank, the fuel pick-up tube was clean.

Don,
Following your caper with great interest. I had a similar problem which turned out to be a slowly failing oil pressure switch. A good test would be to temporarily plumb in a pressure/vacuum gauge before the fuel pump. Vacuum should not exceed 5 inches Hg. If vacuum slowly increases until the engine dies, the problem is likely a line clog or vent problem. Nothing more exciting than those heavyweight single engine approaches into the slip with the entire marina beer klatch watching !

Check 6,
FL Panhandle

I am thinking of plumbing in a fuel pressure gauge as it is easy access. Would be another way to ascertain that it was the ASV. Not that expensive so will probably do it and....... the wait is killing me. Vessel normally gets wet last week in May/first week of June.....stay tuned.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don:

Good idea. You can install a Schrader valve before the carbs and test each engine with a common fuel pressure tester. Most cars use this set up, with a Schrader valve in the injector rail (under a removable cap). A bit more cumbersome than using a couple of pressure gages, but vibration won't wreck anything.

Jeff

Update......... as promised

We headed out 01 June 2016 and ran the same route as we did last year, at the same power settings...............not one problem occurred. Am off the water now, for 3 days and then back out until 01 October

The problem had to be the anti-siphon valve and removing it solved all the problems we had with intermittent engine shut-down. I was not in my rented marina slip (not at my homeport), until today and as luck would have it I met the "mechanic" ( I now use that term loosely for this individual), and I cornered him and told him that the fix was about 15 minutes and approximately $4.00....... if I had gone and actually replaced the valve..(The valves have been removed and 'yes' I can live with that).

He had the gall to tell me that was the first thing he checked when he started working on the boat. He lost all credibility there because I know for a fact that I was the first person that actually put a wrench to the valves.

And 'NO' I did not get any refund from the over $1000.00 I spent with that mechanical expert who told me the problem was fixed last year when I started my return trip to home port...........and the engine kept failing during the voyage home...

Have a nice week

Back