Logo

Fuel pump problem Crusader 350/270's?

Mxzx

Contributing Member
Boat has Crusader 350/270's. One engine has the "flooding carb" thing going on, swapped carbs and same result. The other engine runs perfectly on either carb.

Am I looking at a fuel pump issue? Short of swapping pumps, is there any thing that I can test?

Thanks!

Check the site tube that goes between the carb and pump for fuel? If there is fuel in the tube it means the fuel pump has a ruptured diaphragm allowing fuel to be pushed into the carb.

Definitely check fuel pump pressure. Should be about 7 psi. Combination manifold vacuum - fuel pump pressure gauges are readily available.

There is no fuel in tube that I noticed. I'll check again.

Pumps look to to be about $110-150, just thinking about getting one seeing as I only have about a week to use boat before heading home again.

Thoughts?

I just checked and tube is dry.

i did notice after sitting all night and starting today, everything seemed fine, no fuel leakage anywhere. All I did was idle to flush it.

Yesterday did same thing but took it out and ran up on plane. Did fine until throttling down and idling, could then hear the engine start loading up and rpm dropping, that's when I pulled cover and saw fuel bubbling up and pouring out of secondary nozzles. Did same thing with both carbs.

Also, after shutdown you could still see fuel pouring into bores of carb.

Did did the same thing with both carbs on same engine.

not to be a stone thrower but your descriptions leave a bit to be desired..... from "...see fuel pouring into bores of carb" to "...pouring out of secondary nozzles". Consistent and accurate descriptions will go a long way to helping those of us that can't see what you can see.

Given the nominal installation angles involved, if the float is wet and causing flooding - fuel weeping out of the secondary acceleration ports would be likely long before anything shows in the primary. a pressure check would be at the top of the list...

There is fuel dripping out of the secondary nozzles, and there is fuel dripping into the primary bores, from the 2 venturies is what I would guess they are called. There is so much that it is leaking out of the shaft where it goes through the body. This is both idling and shut down. It appears to me to be excessive fuel pressure.

I found a fuel pump for $103 shipped so I'll try that first. Like I said, I only have about a week more to mess with it.

Is is there a way to post a video?

I won't have new fuel pump in time to install, but I think I am gonna pull old one and see if I can find anything amiss.

Might go ahead and swap them if it isn't too much of a pita.

Never got around to swapping pumps, but I will install new one this summer and posts results.

Thanks to to all who helped.

To update old thread, I replaced fuel pump. Upon pulling old one and inspecting, the sight tube port on pump was completely plugged with goo/rust. Sight tube was also completely plugged at fuel pump.

Installed new new one and all is normal. I checked other pump port and was still open. I replaced both tubes with regular fuel line, the sight tube was so cloudy couldn't see through it anyways.

I'm guessing the tube deteriorated from ethanol in fuel?

the sight tubes are service items. they are made of tygon and it though it tolerates fuel the application isn't intended for sustained exposure to fuel....the heat will deteriorate it - makes it brittle and discolors it as well. it should be changed when you cant see thru it or when it won't seat on the nipple.

the fuel line will contain any leak but defeats the purpose of the sight tube....its there to enable a quick visual assessment of the fuel pump's diaphragm...

I figured it was clear for a reason, but never looked at it anyways. If I start having trouble again I will pull it and put clear line on it, plus now I have a spare pump!!

Back