Logo

Help! What is this. I'm new to outboards

fastleo

00X0X_fa2E1w7sBUg_600x450.jpg00X0X_3c1X1XbEZef_600x450.jpg00i0i_6ShZUkx4P5U_600x450.jpg01212_kDZgkpqAkYU_600x450.jpg

I'm going to look at this outboard tomorrow and I don't know what it is, the seller doest know the year just that it is under 10hp other than its a evinrude. Please help I would love to know actual size and year made.

Andy

Looks like a 9.9 or 15 Evinrude. Tag is not right because numbers are more like the earlier 10 hp of 1962 vintage. Can you look on the powerhead on top of the upper cylinder? There is a little round stamped welsh plug about nickel size. Can you get us the number off of that? A photo of the powerhead with the cowling off may be helpful too. My guess its a mid or late 70's.

I never would have guessed it was that old, could the tag have been changed? The rivits are way different then on my 71' 6 HP. I'm starting to thing this thing is hot. Who doesn't know what they have?

Looks to me that someone installed an older ID plate.------So likely a 15 hp.------Post more pictures of the motor with cowling off.----The twist grip indicates mid 1980 to me.--------With those pictures added it looks to be in good shape.

Looks to me that someone installed an older ID plate.------So likely a 15 hp.------Post more pictures of the motor with cowling off.----The twist grip indicates mid 1980 to me.--------With those pictures added it looks to be in good shape.

If that's the case why would anyone switch the ser tag if its not stolen? My gut tells me to run away.

Perhaps to run in a restricted to 10 hp location.

Right, good thought. Can you get me the number off that little welch plug on top of cyl #1, I see its still there but I can't read it. New CDI module, good. Looks clean and yes the twist grip does look newer as does the powerhead picture. I'd say its a 1980 or fairly close. That welch plug will tell us what you have........if it hasn't been messed up to hid the I.D.

Back