rodey

Contributing Member
just got a yam 15hp 2 stroke around 1992,
when started theres a noise comming from what sounds like its not out of gear,
if i rev it up it will jump into forward without touching the gear lever,
noise goes away then selected into gear,
is there any adjustment on these or anything to try before i drop the gearcase,
thanks

There should be, my Yamaha 90TLRP has a 'turnbuckle' type adjustment that you adjust to have the gearshift bell crank (under intake manifold) align with an arrow cast into the case.

Has lower unit been opened recently to replace water pump? Common problems show up with shifting when rod is not properly re-connected.
Art

cant seem to find any adjustment,
not sure is the gearbox has been off
might try take it off and reinstall it and see if theres anythin else,
thanks

Since you just got the engine, it would be wise to replace your water pump rubber impeller while you have it open. Here's a Yamaha Factory Service Manual you can read and print.

Can't post a link here to that site, but this post from here has the site linked, just navigate in there to your engine's Yamaha Service Manual.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...s-available-online&highlight=boatinfo+library

You may need to 'zoom out' to see all the library on that site.

Looked like shift rod install on page 89 (of 138), but all your questions should be answered in there.
Art

Since you just got the engine, it would be wise to replace your water pump rubber impeller while you have it open. Here's a Yamaha Factory Service Manual you can read and print.

Can't post a link here to that site, but this post from here has the site linked, just navigate in there to your engine's Yamaha Service Manual.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...s-available-online&highlight=boatinfo+library

You may need to 'zoom out' to see all the library on that site.

Looked like shift rod install on page 89 (of 138), but all your questions should be answered in there.
Art

will defo be changing the impeller,
seems kile the gear shifter up at the engine isnt locating into neutral properly,
it i hold it back from centre its completly out of gear but slips forward easy so its like its half ways into forward gear,
will take a look at that online manual ,
thanks

result.
dropped the leg and selected reverse before putting it back together.
when linning up the gear selector rod nuts noticed whoever put it back together the last time must of tried to put it together in neutral and the long brass nut wasnt lining up.
well its all together now and no more jumping in and out of gear,
thanks for any help and that site for manuals it really handy,
cheers

Glad you got it.

I guess that's an understandable error, for 70 Hp up- you do use Neutral, but for 50 Hp and below, it's Reverse Gear used.:cool:
Art

Back