Logo

Volvo Penta SX-M Bent Prop Shaft No Shimm

osiris20025

just bought 2001 Four Winns with a 4.3 and Volvo SX-M from an auction. I started the engine and it starts right up, super clean and quite. I noticed the prop wobbled quite a bit and it was leaking gear oil from the bearing carrier and seal. I thought the prop was bent since it has quite of bit of damage but I took it apart and the shaft has same wobble. The prop shaft had quite of bit of play side to side and in and out, I think that the repair shop that inspected the boat took off the bearing carrier and didn't tighten everything correctly. I took off the bearing carrier, I couldn't see any shims but the gears looked very good, no metal in the oil or anything like that. I put everything back together tightened the bearing carrier, who ever took it apart made some markings to make sure the bearing is tight in the exact same place where it was so that's where I left it. After that there was no more play but when I spin the prop shaft you can definitely tell the shaft is bent. I have found a new shaft for 300 bucks, Im buying all brand new seals is there anything else I should inspect or replace?? Thanks guys for all the help.

Back