Logo

1999 120hp Choke Problem

bassadict69

I have a 1999 Force 120hp. When pushing the key in to choke it, I do not hear the click I am supposed to be hearing. Where do I start with this?

The primer solenoid with the push button on top? Is that what is supposed to be clicking when pushing in the key?

Welcome!!
You might not hear a click???
Have someone hit the choke/primer as you touch it.
Test light to the wire and have someone hit the choke/primer.
If neither work then test the key switch.
If you can't feel it and the test light lights? then replace it.
If both work try unhooking the hose to the carb and see if it squirts fuel when activated.
Sometimes the diaphragm in the primer goes bad and feeds extra fuel to the motor causing poor running and excessive fuel use.
You can test this by unhooking while it's running. It should only shoot fuel when activated.

Let us know what you find????

Last edited:
I had a bad connection, fixed that and it now clicks.

Also unhooked the hose to the carb, pushed the button and nothing! Does the key have to be on? Didn't think to try that...

Is the ball pumped up?(sorry had to ask)

If it's pumped up, try unhooking the hose to the carb and squeeze the ball and see if any fuel goes through.

Yep, bulb was pumped up and I do have fuel getting to the filter. I did however find a leak in my bubble so I will be getting a new fuel line and bubble today.

Motor just continually cranks and doesn't even try to crank so now I am thinking I have a firing problem to start troubleshooting!

The primer is a simple valve.--------When motor is cranking and key is pushed in , fuel is sucked into the motor thru this valve.---

I can cross off a firing problem. I removed the line from the primer solenoid to the manifold and squirted some starting fluid into the hose, reconnected it and the motor fired right up! I also pressed the button on the solenoid while that hose was unhooked and still no fuel, so is it safe to assume it is bad? I still have not found a test light to test it.

I also still need to replace the fuel line and bubble...

You have to look at this carefully.-----That primer unit is NOT a pump.----It is a valve that opens up.-----When the valve is open the motor sucks fuel into the intake when the motor is turning !-----------Where does the fuel supply hose to the primer valve come from ?---------Does it come from the carburetor bowl or from the output side of the fuel pump ?

Last edited:
That fuel is NOT under pressure !!--------So your test in post #7 means little.-------Motor must be cranking / turning for the enricher to do anything.

Bought a test light...I am getting power to the primer solenoid.

Everywhere I went was out of the Mercury fuel lines so will have to pick that up another day.

Back