Logo

1987 Evinrude 60HP Possible Overheating Alarm

KSH

I have a 1987 Evinrude 60HP (E60TLCUC) which I have just rebuilt the powerhead. The reason for this was that I had scoring and melted rings on pistons 2 and 3. I believe this was due to a blocked jets on the corresponding carbs. I had the cylinders bored oversized 0.03" and have put the powerhead back together. I have cleaned the carbs and checked the timing using Joe Reeves WOT method.

I started the motor in a bucket yesterday and I am getting a warning horn (continuous) after a minute or 2 of the motor running a idle. Since it is coming on after minute or two I suspect this is an overheating warning. Water is coming out of the tell tail strong (water pump is brand new).

I think I am going to take out the thermostat verify that it is working correctly. What should I do apart from this?

If you didnt put in a new thermostat with the rebuild just do it now so you know it is good. What works good for the larger gearbox is a small horse watering trough just put a plug in the bottom to drain it after you flush the motor.

Is the tub I have suitable? I don't have anything else. Also all the parts for this I have order in from the USA and I am in Australia so its a 1-2 week turn around for parts. Should I be able to remove the theromostat without the removing the cylinder cover and can I then test that it operates in boiling water?

Thermostat cover is off and I have removed the thermostat. Tested it in near boiling water and the thermostat opened.

With starting the motor, do you mean with both the thermostat and thermostat cover removed? This is to verify that water is being pumped into the cylinder cover?

Its not an overheating issue. I started it and ran it until the alarm came on, the cylinder head is warm to touch, but not hot. I then disconnected the wire for the thermoswitch on the cylinder head and the warning was still on.

I think it is an issue with the VRO fuel pump. I started and ran it until the alarm came on. I then disconnected the 3 wire plug from the VRO fuel pump and the alarm stopped. Note: I have remove the oil tank from this motor and capped the oil line to the VRO fuel pump.

Back