Logo

Excessive water coming from exhaust ports.

G&G

We have a 1980 Johnson 115hp (J115TLCSA). We noticed excessive (pouring) water coming from the port side exhaust port and low pressure water coming from the "Tell Tale". If you rev it up, it will come out both ports. We have replaced the impeller and both Tstats. The water doesn't start flowing until about the time the Tstats should open. We feel we are obviously missing something, any help would be great.

We have only tested the motor on muffs, but we will be running it in a tank this evening.

A little history on the motor, we purchased it as is, but inspecting the case it appears to have been opened and maybe rebuilt. We have 130lbs on all 4 cyls. When servicing the lower unit, we noticed a bent prop shaft, we have replaced the lower unit altogether with a real seal and new impeller.

From what I understand - there was no factory telltale setup on those - the water is supposed to come from the exhaust ports on the back - if theres a telltale - someone added it (like I did to mine) to be able to see waterflow from the drivers seat. Mine was a 1975 135hp. not sure when they started adding the telltales at the factory. But either way - water from the exhaust ports is normal - even more so once the thermostats open up.

Last edited:
Normal wait until you get it in the water and see how much water comes out out will be a lot. Tell tales were put on in 1977.

No water should exit ports until....A)t-stats open or B)poppet reliefs open under increased water pressure or reliefs/t-stats are installed incorrectly

After getting the motor into the tank, it ran like it should! Nice idle and even water displacement. Thanks to everyone who replied. It's amazing the difference from muffs to the tank.

Back