Logo

Mercury sailpower 90 c.c identification

Les marsh

Hi everyone, I,m new to this site but I hope someone out there can help me with this issue! I have just bought a mercury sailpower 90 c.c outboard. I was told that it was 7.5HP however it is a single cylinder, and I just can't make any sense of the serial number. 9457781. I think it is a 1986 model but I am not sure. Can anyone identify this outboard ? Cheers les.

Decals make it an 84 / 85 model.----- The most that this motor was rated at was 4.5 HP-------An excellent design.-------------Install a new impeller before using this motor !!-----Very easy to do yourself.----Very easy.

Many thanks for your help, I suspected that it wasn't 7.5HP, I, ve had it running in a tank and it runs as sweet as a nut! ,, It is very quiet and pumps water well, do you think I should still change the impellor ? Cheers les.

Thanks for the advice, motor has not and never will be used in salt water, however I will change the gear box oil ! What grade oil would you recommend ? Many thanks for your help, Les.

I will heed your advice, however I have problems getting spares as websites don't seem to recognise the serial number of this motor.

????------You need to take the impeller out.----See if there is a part # on it.-------Then measure shaft diameter to confirm it has the correct impeller installed now.--------Then replace.--------Most places do not need a serial # to go to the shelf for that impeller.------Very common part !!

The impeller part # will end with either 80 or 81 if an original factory part.---As stated you would use the 85 model year to find the serial # for American made models !

Last edited:
Back