Logo

2008 15hp 4 stroke won't fully turn

Mallard1

I have a 2008 15 hp 4 stroke no trim tiller handle and when I try to turn right the motor won't turn fully. Looking at the track for the motor lock I still have about an inch of travel left in it. I've greased it and loosened the lock but don't see where it is hitting. Any ideas?

Look at your track again and check to see that there is a bolt holding it on at each end. See part #32. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H... Later/BF15DK0 SHA/SWIVEL CASE (1)/parts.html

One of these bolts may have backed out and have be wedged inside part #6 or between part #6 and part #2. If that is the case and you have tried to force the steering over in that direction, that has pushed it in place even more securely. Sometimes, it is impossible to see unless you use a little mirror and a good flashlight to look down the opening. Then you have to get creative with small picks or rigid pieces of wires with a hook on them to pull it out.

It is time to have great patience.

If both bolts are there, then it is obviously something else....but I doubt it.

Let me know is that is not it.

Good luck.

Mike

Thanks so much for the help, the bolt was covered in grease and I never would have found it with out your help. I was able to fish it out with a piece of bailing wire. The other bolt was almost backed out also. I have both snugged up now and everything works great. Have a great thanksgiving and thank you again for the help.

hondadude makes another SAVE!!
RIGHT ON MIKE!!
And.........

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!

Last edited:
Jimmy....right back at you on the Thanksgiving Day wishes.

Mallard1....glad you got it out. There is one more thing that you should do. If you have some blue loctite handy, you should put some on each of those two bolts and reinstall them. That should keep this from happening again.

During your yearly service, that should be one of the places to check to be sure everything is still tight.

Mike

Back