Logo

How were outboards "winterized" pre 1980?

Saito7

Although not specific to just Merc's, but most any brand outboard, and under say 100 hp motors. With the winter weather now upon us here in the Midwest, it got me thinking how were outboards winterized before "fogging" oil began being marketed sometime in late 80s or early 90s. Take for example a '78 Merc 50 hp, I assume each spark plug was removed and each cylinder given a shot of 2 stroke oil, then turn the flywheel over by hand a few revolutions and call it good? Or was there a completely different method used?

Ive also heard that winterizing an outboard back then (pre 1980) wasn't a common thing to do like it is nowdays?

Last edited:
????----What----I used fogging oil back in the late- 1960's.--------It just was not found on the shelf at you local CHINA MART back then.

Back when I was a kid (when outboards had points and ran on leaded gas) my Dad would pull the sparkplugs and use an oil can (the kind with the little pump handle that always sat on the bench) to give a single shot of 30 weight oil into the cylinders and then give it a couple of rotations by hand.

But that was typically if it was going to be laid up for longer than just the winter.

Otherwise, as Jeff notes, we just kinda put them away with "maybe" a tarp (canvas, not these plastic things we have today) tied over the powerhead.

In the spring you cleaned up the points and sparkplugs, threw some new mixed gas (30:1 - 30 weight oil - put that $%&@ in everything) in the tank and fired it up. When all the smoke cleared, she was "good to go" :)

Only a small Mercury/Mariner 6hp 2 stroke ---carb run dry,flushed in a bin of fresh water,engine covered with a thick seat sponge and waterproof cover then the whole boat and outboard (in vertical position) covered with 2 tarps in the garden where the winter UK sun gets to her every now and then until the Spring.
The engine is warmer there than in the garage !!
Regards

Back