Logo

90 OMC 2.3L Crank bearing questions

Sean1

Rebuilding a 90 omc 2.3l engine. Sent it to local machine shop and they kept the old parts and gave me new bearings. So no parts to compare. Months later I finally get around to rebuilding it and find the bearings they gave me are for a larger diameter journals for a prior year. Next they give me a set with a thrust bearing that has the flange on only the upper half. Block and cap both machined for flange and diagram shows thrust flange on both halves. Dealing with mostly obsolete parts I might end up using part of the set the machine shop gave me and whatever parts I can find online that are not obsolete till my tolerances are within spec. Mix of red and blue is all I can find. So my question is whether I really need the thrust flange on both halves of the bearing and if anyone knows the difference in tolerances between red and blue before I start tearing all the packaging open. Any advice would be helpful at this point. Thanks.

Thanks for replying. Certainly would simplify matters. I get that there's not much of an axial load but still never seen anything like that.

Back