Logo

1978 45hp chrysler outboard

beanshooter

I have a 1978 45HP Chrysler outboard that I don't believe has had much use or has run in years. Everything looks new and original. Spark plug wires were chewed. Replaced wires and new plugs. Have no spark and when I turn it over a few times it seems to be draining my batteries pretty quickly. Do I start with stator or is there an easy way to test what is not working? Thanks for your help.

Welcome.
If it hasn't ran for a while??
First start with removing the flywheel and clean/sand/file the points.

Killing the battery is either a dirty starter, brushes or armature needs cleaning/ rebuilding.
The connections bad or the cable itself is bad.

Or the battery is weak. Load test it.
A battery can read 12v and still be bad, or even a dead cell.
A charger can put out 12v but still not charge a battery?

One more thing(actually a few more) if the lower unit has water or had water in it.
The bearing just under the water pump can seize or make the motor hard to turn over.

Thanks, didn't get under flywheel yet but did check battery cable and it does need some attention.
Welcome.
If it hasn't ran for a while??
First start with removing the flywheel and clean/sand/file the points.

Killing the battery is either a dirty starter, brushes or armature needs cleaning/ rebuilding.
The connections bad or the cable itself is bad.

Or the battery is weak. Load test it.
A battery can read 12v and still be bad, or even a dead cell.
A charger can put out 12v but still not charge a battery?

One more thing(actually a few more) if the lower unit has water or had water in it.
The bearing just under the water pump can seize or make the motor hard to turn over.

Thanks Jerryjerry05. Popped flywheel and found points all crusted. Cleaned them and got spark. Separated, cleaned and taped battery cables. Battery drain issue gone.

Finally got a chance to see if this motor ran. Couple of turns and fired right up. Question-I ran it for a while and the clear water line showed water moving but where does it come out? I was looking for a stream coming out somewhere, all I got was a spray from the upper exhaust hole. I've been messing with Johnsons and Merc's, they have a stream. Is the spray normal? Thanks for your help.

The Chrysler/ Force didn't install a pee tube.
The majority of the water comes out the snout on the bottom.
The holes on the middle are a relief port.
Some spit a lot of water some just a mist.

Change the impeller just to be sure.

There might be an overheat alarm?
Pics of the head and wiring on the motor?
Is there a round black thing under the dash?
There should be a temp sensor on the head.
Key on, ground out the sender and see if a buzzer sounds off??

Back