Logo

1955 QD16 questions

metygrys

Sorry about the posting this in the wrong place the first time...

I just recently got a QD16 as well and despite assurances from the previous owner it has been giving me some grief. It starts after just a couple of pulls but takes forever to get to the point where I can shut the choke off and then what seems to be WOT is at some odd halfway point on the range of the throttle. It also will do the sort of clunk-and-miss thing for a while but generally only in neutral.

The other issue is putting it into gear. I move the lever into the proper position but often times in doesn't always engage the prop right away and then does so with a clunk. If I turn the handle all the way back to SHIFT to shift it it will stall so I move it a bit off and then the shifter will move but not always engage.

I haven't replaced anything yet and was hoping to give it a once over myself before taking it to the mechanic. It certainly needs some love and I'm sensing that it's worth the effort based on what I've read here so far. The motor is in overall great shape.
Any warnings or obvious red flags before I break out the wrenches?

thanks

Ben

QD-16 1955 10hp Johnson. The carburetor is fouled from sitting. Clean and rebuild the carburetor, using a complete carburetor kit (about $20), then adjust it as follows.

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Probably good advice on the carb rebuild but....before you "break out the wrenches" be aware that this motor has the old style 2 hose pressure tank. The motor pumps air into the tank through the air feed hose and this pressure drives the fuel out the fuel hose and into the carburetor. Any leaks on the air pressure side ( o.rings, hole in hose, loose or leaking filler cap etc) will not be readily apparent but will certainly affect how the motor performs. If this motor may has a see through fuel bowl on the bottom of the carburetor, remove the bowl and the fuel filter. Back wash the ceramic fuel filter with carburetor cleaner and re-install. If the fuel tank and hoses and o-rings are in good shape and the filter is not clogged, a carb rebuild is certainly the next step. Parts diagrams are available on this site for free and should be viewed before doing any repairs. What fuel/oil mix are you using? Have you checked the gear oil in the lower unit?

I’m in need of a carb kit but I can’t find the correct one on this site could you help

QD-16 1955 10hp Johnson. The carburetor is fouled from sitting. Clean and rebuild the carburetor, using a complete carburetor kit (about $20), then adjust it as follows.

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

If you can't find it here, try Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN, 218 682 2331, Mike or Dan. To you in 2 or 3 days.

Back