Logo

Winterising on a river mooring

eddio

Hi Guys

My Maxum SR1900 will be spending the winter at her deep (24') water moorings on the river Ely here, close to Cardiff Bay. The winter may have cold snaps, and I have seen the river have a crust of ice in past years. Should I:

Drain the blue plastic plugs and remove, or replace, them?
Tilt the alpha leg up or leave it down in the water?
Fog the engine, or just start her up and run her every other week?
Should I also pull off the coolant hoses and squirt some antifreeze in?

I shall keep the tank full, and want to go out on the water on cold days when the sun shines.

Any observations would be appreciated

Ed

Hi Guys

My Maxum SR1900 will be spending the winter at her deep (24') water moorings on the river Ely here, close to Cardiff Bay. The winter may have cold snaps, and I have seen the river have a crust of ice in past years.

I agree.
Pulling a 19 footer out of the water should be simple and easy.
Putting it back in for those nice days will also be simple and easy.

Should I:

Drain the blue plastic plugs and remove, or replace, them?
Pull them, probe the drain ports and leave the plugs out. Put them in a baggy and strap to the helm wheel.

Tilt the alpha leg up or leave it down in the water?
If left up it may not drain properly and it certainly doesn't help the drive shaft bellows to be left in that position for any length of time.
Leave it down and in the water, and it's subject to corrosion issues.

Fog the engine, or just start her up and run her every other week?
IMO, I would fog it, and NOT start again until needed.
Perhaps disconnect your batteries.

Should I also pull off the coolant hoses and squirt some antifreeze in?
If drained properly, there is no need to introduce AF into the system.
Just plain ole air will not freeze expand and ruin your expensive cast iron parts. Never has.... and never will.
A diluted AF may cause a problem if temps do dip down into freezing.

Thank you for the advice. Pulling the boat is not easy as I have no jeep - a Smart car is not going to do it!!! I want to be able to use the boat on fresh, cold and sunny winter days. I'll drain as you suggest, and leave the leg down. New anodes were fitted this spring so I hope all will be well on the corrosion front.

Ed

The gas tank level does not really matter..............Just keep at least 5 gallons in it and due to lack of use it would be good to ad STABIL to the gas.

As far as winterizing your boat.........If the water does not freeze then you boat will not either....... But to be cautious drain the manifolds and block, Should be 4 plugs if a V6 or V8 and two plugs if an inline 4 cylinder.

If you have power steering you must be aware there is a color inline with the incoming water hose. if this freezes it will pop open.

So to avoid this remove incoming water hose from thermostat and pour RV (only) antifreeze into hose to force water out of the cooler.

you are going to have to pull it for some reason sooner or later...i would dump the smart car and get what you need to handle the boat and forget leaving it in the water...just an opinion but based on experience...you will have a pile of junk in two years if you don't...

Thanks for the opinion - noted. The Smart is by far the best city car here in Cardiff, although a jeep would be great. If I keep up the visits to the boat/drying/use and general care she may be OK for a bit. Maybe I'll sell her after next year and get a diesel something or other (fuel costs here in the UK are daft). Here's hoping for a mild winter, and some cool fun when the sun shines - like it is forecast tomorrow.

One thing you could do is and this is only a suggestion!!!!

There are devices call core heaters......they typically replace one of the core plugs (also known as freeze plugs) the have a heating element with a AC electrical connector and plug into shore power and will keep the entire block warm.

It may cost you some money for electricity but you wont be replacing your motor.......

see pic for a example............

My thoughts re; using electricity for protecting our expensive cast iron components:

Scenario #1
You've pulled all plugs and probed all seawater drain ports.
No electric heat for protection.
You go home, and you get a good night's sleep while knowing that your engine/exhaust is safe from freeze damage.

Scenario #2

You've plugged in and have turned on your electric engine block heater.
Mild weather, temps drop to below freezing, no real concerns for power outages.
All is well, and you get a good night's sleep while you know that your engine is protected!

Scenario # 3
You've plugged in and have turned on your electric engine block heater.
Storm brews, winds pick up, freezing temps are on their way.
Power outage hits the area where your boat is.
When you do finally get word of the power outage.... let's say 2:27 AM...., you are now on your way down to the boat.
The wind is blowing freezing rain sideways and your teeth are chattering.
There you are with headlamp on and tools in hand, only to find that the H2O in your exhaust system and engine has already began to crystallize.

Man.... that scenario #1 is sure looking good! ;)

Brilliant idea. Sadly I have no shore power on my mooring. It might be possible to run 12v from a second battery not connected to the boat electrics. It would be easy to trolley the battery down the pontoon a couple of times for recharging at home, and as you say, might save expensive loss to the block. I shall look into this, and post if I find out more. I had a good blast out on the water this afternoon. Blew the cobwebs away!

Yes I believe you can get a 12 volt type....if not a 24 volt type used on big trucks.........that would be two batteries in series NOT parallel

Can't you locate someone with a substantial vehicle who will pull it out for you? Offer to take 'em fishing next year or a case of beer.

Jeff

I don't want to 'put' upon people. My local boat engineer reckons that leaving the leg down and just draining is OK, as I will be taking the boat out on nice crisp winter days (I have just got back from a watery frolic this afternoon). I have a stand a few miles where I keep the trailer, so if it looks like turning nasty cold I'll cadge a tow then. Talking to guys on the pontoons today, they reminded me of the harsh winter a few years ago when the river froze - and engine blocks were cracked. Keen weather watching methinks.

Back