Logo

1984 OMC 400 Stringer drive removal

cubbo

I am getting ready to pull the engine out of my 84 Glassport it is a 1984 OMC 2.5L (252STHRCRA) with a silver 400 stringerdrive. It looks as if I just need to remove the stringer (or stern) drive. I think the correct name for mine is stringer drive.

Can the drive be removed and the intermediate housing stay attached to the engine correct?

I thought I read somewhere that I have to remove the lower first or can I remove the lower and upper together and then pull the engine.

This is the silver model with the mech. shift.

Do you know of a good post with guide to this removal.

The engine runs like a top still, the drive is great and has low hours. I have to do some stringer and glass work.

Can anyone tell me if I can remove the whole drive at one time? Or is there an issue with the shift cable and turning it in order to get this removed.

Or is it the opposite..in order to remove the lower, I need to remove both first then separate.

Do I separate them while attached to the engine or remove together. I know have clearance to remove the engine with the intermediate housing attached, so the question is can the upper and lower be removed together and does anyone know how hard this is to do and what should be replaced before re-install?

Back