Logo

Classic 50 Engine runs well intermittently

bstig60

Put the boat in the water today to see if it would run OK under load after getting it running on the muffs. I had to adjust the pilot screws out to 1 3/4 turns as they were set at 3/4 turn on the upper carb and just less than 1 turn on the lower carb. Seemed to run time on the muffs.
Had a little trouble getting it started, but it started and warmed up setting at the dock. I idled it out of the marina and slowly gave it throttle. It wouldn't get the little boat up on plane, so I babied it a bit and got the engine up to operating temp and then tried again. It sputtered a bit, then took hold an came up on plane and took off like a shot. I ran it for a few minutes and then decided to slow down and troll for a little while. The engine idled down OK and seemed to be running on all cylinders. I shut it down and fished for a 1/2 hour or so. When I got ready to head back to the dock, I got the engine started but it would not come up on plane when I added throttle. So I idled it back to the dock. It seems if was not hitting on all cylinders. I noticed that when I was adjusting the pilot screw that the upper adjustment didn't seem to make any difference where the screw was set. That tells me that maybe the jet is plugged up. I will have to pull that carb and try and clean it out. I will check to see if the top two plugs are fouled. Any other thoughts would be appreciated......

Your idle adjustments are off--too lean. Here's what to do:

With the boat on a trailer or tied to a dock, warm the motor fully, then put her in forward.

Next, SLOWLY turn each idle mixture screw until you get the best idle--take your time with each adjustment and let her 'settle out. Go from one to the other a few times to be sure it's correct.

Finally, add 1/2 turn OUT (CCW) to each screw--that's the trick.

Jeff

Back