Logo

Im visting from downunder, Where to go?

tuna_man

Regular Contributor
Yeh I know prob not the right forum but what the heck you guys have helped me with my mercruiser so why not ask you travel advice

going to show the wife & kids USA for 5 weeks late next year, sept/Oct.

LA first as they want to do Disneyland.

besides that no real plans yet, but definitely want go over to the east coast.

other places mentioned; Vegas, Graceland, Yellowstone NP, Niagara Falls, NY, Boston, Kennedy space centre. Drive Route 66?

Any boating stores or marinas I should visit?

Any other suggestions?

Mark

recent travel showed me just how expensive it is to do now...for example motel rooms...most places its almost impossible to spend less than 100 bucks per night on the room and thats just for two people... meals for 4-5 on the road will cost a small fortune...look at motels and hotels at the grand canyon and places like that on the web...almost all are expensive ripoffs....disney land will require extensive planning or you will drop a fortune...

you have time to plan....my advice is to find a couple from Sydney that has made an extended trip as you plan and get all the advice you can get from them...

Do you plan or driveing a car or RV? The grand canyon has to be seen and yellowstone is way up north and 5 weeks aint alot of time but you have plenty of time to plan.

Was planning to hire a car for some parts of the trip, but now youve got me thinking about the RV thing...

recent travel showed me just how expensive it is to do now...for example motel rooms...most places its almost impossible to spend less than 100 bucks per night on the room and thats just for two people... meals for 4-5 on the road will cost a small fortune...look at motels and hotels at the grand canyon and places like that on the web...almost all are expensive ripoffs....disney land will require extensive planning or you will drop a fortune...

you have time to plan....my advice is to find a couple from Sydney that has made an extended trip as you plan and get all the advice you can get from them...

good advice. yeh this is step 1 in the planning process, start asking dumb questions. I'm meeting some old friends tonight who just go back from 6 week trip. Ill pick their brains.

Although I'm not partial to big cities I note that Washington DC is not on your list. It is a unique city, due to the unique government buildings and huge number of museums. You can't do DC in a day - plan for at least 3 days or more. Other east coast areas of interest would be the Chesapeake Bay area of Virginia & Maryland, including the old plantation houses near the James River.

If you are more of the adventurist type, one of my favorite areas (and I own a home there) is the lower Outer Banks of North Carolina - the villages of Rodanthe, Waves, and Salvo (AKA RSW), then south to Avon, Buxton, Frisco, and Hatteras. The area is known as the Graveyard of the Atlantic because of all the ships sunk off the Diamond Shoals at Buxton, where the famous Hatteras Light House is located. The Outer Banks is a narrow strip of barrier islands sitting out in the Atlantic ocean off the North Carolina Coast. Between the islands and the mainland is the Pamlico and Albemarle sounds. October is a beautiful time to go there. The summer tourists are mostly gone, the hurricane season is normally over, and the beaches are little populated. Rental houses are cheap and there are several motels in Buxton and Hatteras. Lots of tourists drive in from the North (it's 2.5 hours from Virginia Beach) then work their way down the Outer Banks to Hatteras, take the free auto ferry to Okracoke Island, then take the paid auto ferry back to the mainland at Swan Quarter or Cedar Island.

and you can get excellent fishing out of Hatterras that time of year.....and ditto for the big catfish if you opt to include DC (potomac).

yellowstone and the grand canyon are two of thousands of stops you could do over here....suggest you do some research and plan it out a bit...maybe give everybody a "week" as there are LOTS of options over here....the RV may work but would be a time consumer (and a gas hog) if you drive it from shore to shore....

Back