outboard year and hp help

rodey

Contributing Member
just wondering if anyone can help me out,
just got a old mercury outboard but dont no what hp or year it is,
the serial number is 09600967
cant find any other info on it and have came up blank when searching online,
thanks

The number makes it Belgian built '92.You'll need to post some pics of the decals,number of cylinders,part numbers,as much info as you can.

Good afternoon, I just found a Mongtgomery Wards outboard motor with a Serial number of 248429. I believe the Model is 940GA9014A. Can anyone helpo me define what motor and year this is, so I can order parts.

The number makes it Belgian built '92.You'll need to post some pics of the decals,number of cylinders,part numbers,as much info as you can.

thanks for that,
affraid theres no decals on it as it was resprayed,
has 2 cyl,
cant seem to find any numbers anywere ,
flywheel is red , dont know if that makes much difference,

thanks for that,
affraid theres no decals on it as it was resprayed,
has 2 cyl,
cant seem to find any numbers anywere ,
flywheel is red , dont know if that makes much difference,

That serial number is very close to the motor I have .
Mine is a Mercury/Mariner Belgium built ,red flywheel ,2 stroke ,6HP.
Pictures would be great ----- mine is all wrapped up for the winter so can't take any !!
Regards

That serial number is very close to the motor I have .
Mine is a Mercury/Mariner Belgium built ,red flywheel ,2 stroke ,6HP.
Pictures would be great ----- mine is all wrapped up for the winter so can't take any !!
Regards
will get some pics tomorrow,
seems the 6hp, 8hp and 9.9 seem to be the same,
does seem to look a little big for a 6hp , feck hard to tell,

http://discount-marine-parts.com/ob_sea_king.html I have never heard of this make of outboard before.Here's a link to where you might be able to get some info.
The serial number on a Mercury doesn't tell what HP the out board is,just the year it came of the assembly line.2555555 could be a 80hp and 255556 could be 25HP.So pics and part numbers on carbs,flywheel,coils,block will help point in the right direction.A may still be difficult to define as many of the smaller outboards shared the same parts and what differentiated the HP was jet size or porting.

Last edited:
Back