Logo

F40TLRA 4 stroke Yamaha no spark

robinfla

To start with, Right after changing throttle cable motor wouldn't start. Not sure whether I stopped getting spark before or after. Tried a little starter fluid to start and small fire started about the size of a wooden match. Put out with fire extinguisher. I don't get any spark. Either no voltage reading or 29 volts from stator. I disconnected all wires to and from stator and same results. I cleaned stator just in case extinguisher stuff got on it even tho I didn't see any. No voltage from CDI. Not sure what wires to test on regulator to test it. 2 yellow a red and a gray. Don't know which is in and which is out. I have a Yamaha manual for this model but doesn't help much. I counted threads on the ends of cable when I replaced. Not sure what home position would be on black plastic part with the cam follower roller for carb linkage. Also, linkage on carb linkage is frozen. I don't want to change stator yet, would a bad regulator blow a stator?

Check your safety switch first. Normally if you don't get sparks out of all the spark plugs that's an indication of the safety switch no pull out all the way. GL

Check your safety switch first. Normally if you don't get sparks out of all the spark plugs that's an indication of the safety switch no pull out all
Yes that is one of first things I checked along with all other shut off things. It's looking like bad CDI unit.

Back