Logo

9.9 merc float filled with gas?

superdow

I cleaned the carb on my 9.9 merc two stroke circa 1986 and there was about a teaspoon of gas? in the float. I could not detect a leak in the float (tried to shake some of the fluid out without luck). Is it normal to have some liquid in the float? and assuming that the liquid shouldn't be there would it be enough to cause the engine not to start.

I previously cleaned the carb about two weeks ago (gas was probably in the float but I didn't notice) and motor ran fine on first pull. I then took the motor out again about a week later, again it started on first pull, i put it in reverse and then when i put it in forward it stopped and hasn't started since. I decided to reclean the carb again but his time replace all gaskets etc. and then noticed the gas in the float. (the motor is again ready for a try but i haven't tried to start it yet to see if i fixed the issue) just very curious about the gas? in the float.

Last edited:
One of the carbs on my old Pontiac (with triples) did that to me one night. Had my Mom with me at the time and she didn't appreciate my WOT run all the way home (the only way I could keep the motor running!)

It happens. See if you can buy another on THIS site.

Jeff

After placing the float in a cup of gasoline, I can see that it is seriously "listing" - that could/will cause problems. Will definitely be buying a new one.

absolutely it is bad. even auto floats that are solid, can become saturated and heavy. that will cause flooding, or running rich as it becomes heavy. on my multible carb setups, i have a small scale that i weigh each float for comparison.

Back