Logo

Need help identifying my Interceptor motor.

Chris Myhre

I bought a 1952 Chris Craft Riviera for restoration. It has been re-powered with an Interceptor Marine V-8. The Serial number above the timing cover is NO CDSL60219. I took a look at another posting that had some Interceptor serial number references, but they don't seem to make sense with my number. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pictures to help with the ID.

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 162
  • engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 148
  • engine3.jpg
    engine3.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 161
  • engine5.jpg
    engine5.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 158
Ford Y block converted to marine use by Eaton. Sold from 1950's to about 1963 +- . Ford made the engine
in 239,256,272,292 and 312 cu in. The larger displacement models had 2 sidedraft Carter YH carbs.
The largest was the 312 which was rated at 215 HP and it may have had a 4 barrel carburetor.The 292 dual carb I think was about 185 hp.
The smaller engines were offered with one or two carbs. My guess is that you engine is either 256 or 272 ci .

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the feedback! I appreciate the help. I found a hand scribbled note that says "Ford 292 velvet". Is that a velvet drive transmission on there you think?

How important is it that I know the exact year and displacement? Are there a lot of differences in these motors based on cubic inches?

Your transmission is a Velvet drive and they are still being made. Lots of interchangeability between these engines. Your serial # suggests it is a 272 CI but it could be a 292 CI . The front cover with the serial # will be the same for any size engine block . Look up Ford Y-block in Wikipedia

Thanks for all of your help!! You are correct. Looks like a 272 from the foundry in Ontario based on the block casting numbers. Thanks again!

Has anyone found an identification schema for this motor? Mine is 1965 260ci Ford Windsor that is 165hp with Carter 2 Barrel Carb. The engine number says RH 260 (right handed rotation 260 ci) but then it lists GT21R523478. Trying to track down the correct alternator upgrade as well some other improvements. Thanks again.

Back