Logo

1990 Looper - Reed cage gasket failure - repair questions

Hi, I finally found the carb spitting and sputtering problem with my ol'looper and still have some questions. The gaskets that sandwich between the reed cage and intake plate failed. It looks like they were weak from fuel. Plus OMC only used two screws to fasten the box. One screw on each end. It happened in 3 of 4 cylinders and the fourth was on it's way. Two were sagging into intake plenum and the other two completely lost over couple inches of gaskets. Motor obviously sucked them in and munched them up. So, I believe that left the bottom edge of the gasket vulnerable to fail. I don't think any gasket adhesives were used in installation of the factory gaskets. Big question is: I honed the mating surface of reed cage on granite surface plate to make perfectly flat and smooth. The intake manifold has milled pocket for this surface. Should I use gasket and sandwich with quality gasket adhesive (The Right Stuff) or go commando :p and use adhesive only?

I use 3M Weatherstrip adhesive on the reed cage gasket mounting surface.
Very very thin application, clean up ANY ooze out into the fuel air flow passage.

Don't put it on the intake, because you will play hell getting it out of that "well" if you ever have to.

Let it set up for a day before you run it.

The gaskets come with an adhesive on them, but it is not adequate.
You DID pull the white backing paper off when you put new gaskets on...????

There was some white backing paper left on one gasket I took off. The other three have a cellophane looking material separating from the fiber gasket. Maybe it was an adhesive that dry rotted? Funny thing is, I was originally thinking of using the gorilla snot on them too. That is some nasty stuffy. Applying to the baffle side only is a great idea. Should retain the gasket and not mess up the pocket..
Very very thin application, clean up ANY ooze out into the fuel air flow passage.

Don't put it on the intake, because you will play hell getting it out of that "well" if you ever have to.

3M weatherstripping is yellow contact cement.
I always thought gorilla snot was omc gasket sealing compound, or permanent aviation gasket compound in the white bottle.

3 M I what I use. Just to be clear.

Yup, 3m weather strip adhesive. We called it gorilla snot back in the 80's. Acetone and maybe goof off are about the only things that clean that goo up. I think goof off is mostly acetone too. Indian head sealer is similar but brown. That is some nasty stuff too. Seems like most sealants that are some what fuel resistant only thin with acetone or a automotive thinner.
Sorry this autocorrect on my phone really butchered up that last post. I think you can figure it out though.

Unless PO had some serious engine work. The V4 was like this 4-5 years ago when I bought it. The intake manifold gaskets looked like the factory messed up? Or, maybe a warranty service? I have checked or replaced most everything on this ol'motor. The only thing I have not done yet is replace or inspect impeller. That will be the next think I do after getting the carburation tuned. All four holes have 125 PSI cold. She has a newer VRO pump, starter solenoid & gear, ignition switch, thermostats, fuel filter, fuel line, and oil/fuel line clamps. Fresh 93 octane. She should idle and rip like new. Reliably push my Ranger 690 like a little beast.:rolleyes: Next step is looking for the right prop. I'm sure PO did not know WTF he was doing when he propped this tub.

Back