Logo

1975 25 hp Johnson

duke_152

So this summer I bought a boat with a 1975 25hp Johnson on it. At first it wouldn't start but through some trial and error we discovered a condenser was bad. We replaced both for god measure since the motor hadn't been run for a few years. After we changed it out it started right up. Then the next problem was discovered. It would rev to max rpms. I tried to adjust the throttle and fuel mixture. Nothing would idle it down. Does it sound like the carb needs to be rebuilt?

The throttle (armature plate) ---OR---the carburetor throttle shaft is not returning to idle position. You have to look at it and determine the problem, then proceed from there. No it doesn't sound like the carb needs to be rebuilt, at least not for that reason. That is not to say it does not need it for another reason, such as full of crud.

EDIT: Actually, I don't know what the effect would be if you have the wires to the external coils swapped. That would throw it 180 degrees out of time. It shouldn't even run like that, but ????

Last edited:
Back