Logo

Lightwin fuel filter question

Guzzidude

I was poking around prior to joining, and then searched after joining. I got a 1964 3hp Evinrude Lightwin with a small aluminum boat I purchased. I have had the boat for three weeks, but have not been on the water yet because I can't get this thing running. Soooo....

I am a decent mechanic, but I don't know enough about the engine in question to know if I will do damage if I do what I think I need to, and want a more experienced opinion. The motor sat for a long time prior to me getting it, and the fuel system was a little gummed up. I replaced the petcock, but when I removed it from the bottom of the tank, there was no filter attached.

After suffering fuel flow issues, and looking at post here and elsewhere, it looks like the filter is stuck in the tank. My question is, what is the safest way to remove it? I think I can grab it with long-nose pliers through the filler cap, but does the filter element thread into the tube or is it just the carrier that is threaded? Or is it tapered and I will not be able to pull it out?

Otherwise, I plan to run a self-tapping screw into it and yank it out the bottom.

And it will be an external filter from here on out!

Thank you for your help,

Guzzidude

And now it shows similar thread (not sure how I missed this one earlier) and it says just punch it into the tank and remove. I guess I'll give that a shot.

If your not concerned with keeping it original, an external plastic see through filter works fine and fits perfectly under the cowling. if the original bronze sintered filter, were intact, it is easily backwashed with carburetor cleaner.

If you try to drive it into the tank, be careful the you don't cone the tank in. That aluminum bends pretty easy.

I normally just knock them into the tank and leave it in there unless the tank has to be removed anyway. Which in this case it seems it does need to be removed and cleaned.

If your not concerned with keeping it original, an external plastic see through filter works fine and fits perfectly under the cowling. if the original bronze sintered filter, were intact, it is easily backwashed with carburetor cleaner.

What kind of clear plastic filter fits perfectly under the cowling, I am attempting to go that route?

thank you

chris

Back