Logo

Help me pick a motor!

drb007

Hi all, and thanks for helping on my first post.
I am currently working on a restoration project with/for my 16 yo daughter. A year ago she bought a 1972 Steury 15' runabout with her own $$. She paid just $200. It came with a 60hp Evinrude Sportfour. Love the lines and style. Haven't tried to start it yet. I looks like all the wiring will need to be redone.

Now, a year later, I am feeling the time crunch, and am considering getting a running motor to save some time. I also would like a complete boat so she can practice driving, docking and trailering before her redone beauty is in the water.

I found a 70's Larson with a 75 hp Starflite that I could hear run. It smoked a lot at start up, but calmed down. I have not tried the shifter.

He started at $2000, then $900. I offered $200 for the motor and controls and $300 for the whole package. The transom is very solid, but I put my foot through the floor. Decent looking. Couple of anchors.

Next I found an open bow 70s Larson that is claimed to be super solid, both floor and transom. I haven't seen it in person, but my brother lives near it and will check it out. It has an 85hp 1973? Evinrude with power trim and tilt. The t/t would be really nice to have for my daughter. He claims it runs great.

Her boat for some reason does not have the max hp rating stamped. It had the spot for it, but it's blank. Hmm...
The original sales brochure came with the boat, and it says it's rated for 70 hp. So 85 is not that far off.

Of the three options, what would you recommend?

While were are doing this redo to be show quality, so will be using it for fun too. I will be supervising until she is very confident and safe (maybe when she's 25) so please don't get caught up on the 25 hp difference.

Advice?

Thanks,
Dave

I agree about the 60 hp. If it was me and the larsen was a nice boat buy that for her to learn in parts availability is gonna be better. This will let you take your time on the other boat while you and her learn and do a project together.. The 85 hp is a long way off of the 60 as far as power goes much more than you realize it's not just hp.

The Steury has a 20inch transom. I cut out the old cable and pulley steering during the teardown, and if possible, will update to a newer steering system.
All three motors come with controls. I do not yet know if the 75hp, which has electric shift, works. It runs fine.

I found the tag on the Steury today, and it is rated at 65hp. I read 75 in the brochure, but that is not what is stamped on the boat. Still not opposed to a 75, but I think the 85 is too much. Sure would have been nice to have the tilt/trim.

The Larson with the 75 Starflite is at $400 now. I'm comfortable at $300...maybe we do the obvious and meet in the middle.

Flyingscott....you mentioned better parts availability....what were you referring to?

Parts availability for the 1973 motor will be better because the parts catalog for evinrude goes back to 1968 every dealer has it. After that you need to find a dealer that has has the catalog on film for before 1968 for the 60 and 75. This website has it back to 1955 and then you have to mail order. You still cannot put a 75 on a boat that is rated for 65 as it's illegal.

Ok, got it. So tell me what you think about this...
If I get the Larson with the 75 as a practice boat, rebuild the 60 to go back on her boat, and then put the cover from the 75 on her 60 since she loves the chrome Evinrude emblem on the 75, I should be gold. Right?

Someone told me that the only real difference between the 60 and 75 was carbs, accounting for hp difference. Is that not true?

That is NOT true.----Cubic inch displacement is different.---------As is often the case -" someone " does not know the fine details of the many models of motors !

Last edited:
I ended up buying the Larson with the 75hp Starflite. Got it for $300. The boat turned out to be a lot nicer than I had originally thought...to the point that we may keep that one to restore rather than the Steury. Still thinking on that one...
It would solve a few of our problems, and I think it has more style than the Steury. It will be up to my daughter though, as it is her boat/project.

Back