Logo

mercury 15 hp super 2 stroke

kus

Hi there, looking at the 15 hp mercury super, has any one got one?Would you recommend this model are they reliable and stand the test of time .. Checking out this or a yamaha 15 hp 2 stroke. Kind thanks for any info
kus

The mercury I believe is a tohatsu built motor looks like the block is a little bigger than the yamaha is. The yamaha will probably run smoother. I think either one would make a great motor for you. Tohatsu and yamaha are both known for great reliability.

buy the Yamaha 20 hp !! the yahmaha 15 and 20 hp are identical in weight !! (4 stroke). I just bought one, and I am glad the dealer point it out. the 20hp only cost me an extra 100.00.

He is not looking for 4 strokes both motors are 2 strokes. A 2 stroke 15 will be close in power to a 4 stroke 20 hp without the added weight. People will argue this but it's true. My 2000 9.8 nissan 4 strk weighs 115# my 1977 9.9 johnson weighs 85 and is definitely more powerful. Also the 4 stroke will have higher maint costs my oil changes cost about $100 on the nissan. Winterizing the 9.9 costs less than $10. Food for thought the 9.8 weighs as much as my 25 merc.

something to consider......more and more lakes are restricting the use of two stroke motors on their freshwater lakes. why invest money in a motor that may prevent you from fishing even before you can get the boat launched........

I don't think he is from the U.S. the fact that those 2 strokes are available new to him suggest a different country could be wrong need kus to verify. You won't find them in the U.S when I looked them up a dealer in Australia had them.

Last edited:
Yes, he must be somewhere other than the US or Canada (the last "new" 2 stroke Merc was sold in 2012).

The Super 15 is nothing more than a detuned 18 horse Tohatsu. I am unaware of their method of "detuning" (could be restricter plate, jets, restricted exhaust port? - never had the opportunity to tear one down for a look).

Because of that it will have greater displacement (294 cc/17.9 cube) than the 15 Yami (246 cc/15 cube). That will translate into better torque, particularly at the lower end (with the super 15).

Since they are both very much in production, at least in the Asian/Australian market, parts would not be an issue.

The Super 15 has been in production for about 10 years or so and the 18 Tohatsu, the (parent) has been around for 30 years - so not a "flash in the pan" model by any means.

For me it would boil down to "price" and "warranty" - they are only 15's after all, you are not going to water ski behind either of them.

Back